Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By The bomb

Thread: Macpac Cascade 65ltr advice

Macpac Cascade 65ltr advice

Does anyone own a Macpac Cascade 65ltr pack ?
    Im in the market for a new pack and research has thrown up the Cascade as a good option. I was wondering if anyone has one and what there opinions are of it .
    I hate buying something without trying it on etc , but where I live thats not an option .
    I’m 6ft 3in and 90kg my worry is that it won’t fit my long back comfortably.
    I would also love to hear about other brands and models if anyone has a recommendation.
    I dont want anything bigger than a 65ltr and 50ltr might be a bit small .

Thanks

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Got one off here and love it. Had the big 85l and wanted something smaller to use for overnight and day walks etc. Really like it and prefer it over the big sucker, now I just cut down on gear to use the small one.

I'm around 6'3"-4 and 100kg (just under so I had two pies for breakfast,,,,) have a short back with long legs though. Find that the fit is perfect for me.

Coming to the Toby shoot? Can bring it along

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Does anyone own a Macpac Cascade 65ltr pack ?
    Im in the market for a new pack and research has thrown up the Cascade as a good option. I was wondering if anyone has one and what there opinions are of it .
    I hate buying something without trying it on etc , but where I live thats not an option .
    I’m 6ft 3in and 90kg my worry is that it won’t fit my long back comfortably.
    I would also love to hear about other brands and models if anyone has a recommendation.
    I dont want anything bigger than a 65ltr and 50ltr might be a bit small .

Thanks

Ken
    Hi Ken
    I brought one second hand awesome packs I'm 6.4 and 110kg too many pies and got a size 3 frame which is perfect for me.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I've got the Cascade 50. Find it a bit small for big trips but perfect for a couple of nights.

I'm 6'2" and 115kg and the size 3 is good for me.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Not sure which size frame mine is.... Seems like there are a few that like them. Not that thrilled on the pocket in the top lid, one is long and skinny maybe designed for a map, the other one seems to sit funny on the front of the pack not the top. May just e the way I have the straps set up though.

I use a cactus rifle scabbard on mine and it works well

https://www.macpac.co.nz/clearance/e...ipment#start=3

I'm looking at one of these you will just need to ensure you get the right size harness

Well things move fast in this modern world .
    I have asked the same question on another forum and a local guy has contacted me about a Macpac 50ltr with the s3 harness which should fit me
    I’ll pick it up next week and it will be intersting to see if the 50ltr will be big enough , even if its not I couldnt go past the deal he offered.
    50ltr is a good reason to cull the equipment anyway .

Ken

Same weight & height as you and #3 Macpac harness is spot on, well in old NZ made ones... assuming sizing hasn't changed..

I found the Macpacs pretty generous in their capacity. Think you will be pleasantly surprised. I can comfortably do a 4 day fly camping trip with my 55L with enough room for packing meat out too.

The Cascade is made of the same AzTec material as my Glissade - which is still in great shape after 7+ years. Very durable.

Ive got the 50 Cascade. Its my biggest pack and I've never found it wanting for a couple of nights and some meat. The good thing is that you can leave your gear in your tent and use the 50 as a day pack. Its not too big for that.

Nice adjustments and comfy.

Name:  P1000520.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  4.18 MB
    nor-west and gadgetman like this.

I'm a runt compared to you lot. I'm only 1.8m (just under 5'11") and less than 70 kg with long torso and short legs. Luckily I fall in the crossover zone for S2 and S3 sizes so I can pick up deals in either. The Macpac harnesses are really adjustable, you can take the bars out and bend them to fit you and there is massive length adjustment in the straps.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Ive got the 50 Cascade. Its my biggest pack and I've never found it wanting for a couple of nights and some meat. The good thing is that you can leave your gear in your tent and use the 50 as a day pack. Its not too big for that.

Nice adjustments and comfy.

Attachment 97859
    Utilising it as day pack really sells me on the 50ltr idea , Im assuming you can sync/tighten down the the side straps etc if your not carrying a full load .

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Utilising it as day pack really sells me on the 50ltr idea , Im assuming you can sync/tighten down the the side straps etc if your not carrying a full load .

Ken
    Yes, you can tighten it all up.

Another thing I did to mine is make up a extra shoulder strap from old seatbelt for my shooting side as it’s hard to shoulder the rifle with the thick padded shoulder straps if you plan on hunting with it on,I swap to the padded one if carrying an animal or weight.
    Dawg likes this.