Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Macpac epic hyper dry 600 xl sleeping bag

Macpac epic hyper dry 600 xl sleeping bag

Thinking about buying one of these for winter hunting. Any good?

I bought the escapade 700 in extra large and so far are very impressed with it....not too heavy and compresses down small...very warm and roomy,definately pleased I drove the 30kms each way to swap out std for extra large model,so much more comfy to be able to have arms inside bag and not be cramped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    Thinking about buying one of these for winter hunting. Any good?
    I have one, use one. It’s quite good.
    A mate slept in his Epic 800 in direct rain- mad prick. I bolted back to the Ute to sleep and I was in a Bivvy bag (pricks of things) and had a bag inside that and I was freezing.
    I bought same bag as him the following week but only the 600 and although no snow stuff yet it’s a good/ warm / small / quality bag.
    Obviously buy on sale as they then become a semi sensible price.
    Dan M

I have one use it as a quilt mostly sharing it with the missus. Its pretty warm. I've also slept in it soaking wet after a huntech bivvy got destroyed by the wind. I somehow slept a good 6 hours with the tarp smashing my face and rain soaking the bag. Was plenty warm but wouldnt tru it mid winter. I also used in over in Canada and it was sweet in a wall tent at minus 30 outside temp however we had a fire for the first 3 hours of the night before the wood ran out.

I have an Express 600, the previous model of the Epic - pretty similar but without the hydro-treated down and slightly lighter.

Its been great, plenty warm enough for me in sub-zero temps especially when combined with a decent mat. I'd want to add a thermal liner or something if using it for winter mountain camping though, 600 is a bit light for that. Its done plenty of this sort of thing in the warmer 3/4 of the year though, and lower altitudes in winter.

Blockade Ridge by Ben, on Flickr

Had an epic and the main zip bust after a year? Of maybe 20nights use.... no joy getting them to fix it (and then imanaged to put a sharp toenail throught the footbox) so has been deletgated to being used a a quilt in desperate times to be used gently or feathers everywhere

I got one last year, they're pretty good bags, if bought on sale price.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Rightio. Some good reviews. Thanks fellas. Will get one I reckon when I escape!

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Had an epic and the main zip bust after a year? Of maybe 20nights use.... no joy getting them to fix it (and then imanaged to put a sharp toenail throught the footbox) so has been deletgated to being used a a quilt in desperate times to be used gently or feathers everywhere
    superglue the hole back up....main zip.....try drycleaners etc..we got main zip in down bag done for under a hundy a couple of years back.

Twin Needle will repair pretty much anything too, no idea what they charge for a zip replacement but would be interested if anyone knows - I have an older Fairydown Scorpion with a stuffed zip that I wouldn't mind restoring for cold winter use.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    superglue the hole back up....main zip.....try drycleaners etc..we got main zip in down bag done for under a hundy a couple of years back.
    Duct tape.... as a temporary fix, it will end up (likly with twin needle) getting done one day. It got replaved with a exped lite 700 which i have been really happy with. Up till the zip broke the epic was an ok bag

I've the Express 400gm, I use it most of the year often at 700 -1000m asl. The 600gm will be fine for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Twin Needle will repair pretty much anything too, no idea what they charge for a zip replacement but would be interested if anyone knows - I have an older Fairydown Scorpion with a stuffed zip that I wouldn't mind restoring for cold winter use.
    95 dollars for a full zip replacement. Have one waiting for pickup
    GravelBen likes this.

Tenacious tape is an awesome product for patching holes in gear. I have a couple of the patches kits and have used them quite a few times on jackets, sleeping bags, car seat etc

And for zip repairs, if you have a local saddler, worth talking to them. Our local saddler fixed one of my sleeping bag zips for $25. He did my 7mm wetsuit zip for $15 just before lockdown!!
    GravelBen likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Or your local upholsterer they are pretty good and have range of zips.