Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By craigc

Thread: macpac olympus

macpac olympus

After buying a olympus tent end of last year i thought i better put it up. Am glad i didn't buy the minret.
    So my question is to those that have them is this, it has four rope loops at each end and has two in the middle (10 total) but only comes with 8 guide ropes so do you not use all the tie down points?
    YES i can buy two more pegs and two more guide ropes but are missing some thing obvious?? do you not need to use all 10 points?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Replace a 25 year old Olympus with a new one 2 years ago. The new model is not the tent the old one was.
    Use as many tie downs as you need for the conditions but err on the side of caution as it's easier to do in the light of day in good conditions rather than in the pitch black in pissing rain and a howling gale.
    Was in Marlborough in that storm late November. Used all the tie-downs and stayed dry. Not much sleep though. The tent was almost flattened by wind and very heavy rain a couple of times but stood up to it all Heavy buggers, but robust

I 100% agree with you, they’re not the tent they used to be, but are significantly better than the other two Macpac tunnel tents. A major disappointment is the removal of the second vestibule, the back door really only has room for a pair of boots.

i have to agree on the back door, boots at best. I did think they were going to be slightly bigger but that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    ... but are significantly better than the other two Macpac tunnel tents.
    @craigc, in what way?

Think a few manufacturer's do this type of thing to keep the weight down a little. Some companies use pegs that are so lightweight that you need to replace them straight away. Other don't have all the pegs or tie downs for the options available. In saying that not all the tie downs have to be used in most situations

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    @craigc, in what way?

The three poles make it stronger

Twice as water proof as the Nautilis

Larger floor area than the Minaret and the Nautilus

Bigger vestibule than the Minaret and the Nautilus (3 times as big as the Nautilus)

According to Macpac an ‘Alpine’ tent, whilst the others are ‘hiking’ and ‘camping’ tents.

But, more expensive and heavier.

I have a number of tents, each have their purpose; I favour this over the MSR Hubba for open tops, especially the South Island.

:-)
    JoshC, Puffin, Danny and 1 others like this.