Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Maxtoch L3K LEP 3,000m Review

Maxtoch L3K LEP 3,000m Review

Just finished uploading my video review of the Maxtoch L3K and what an awesome light it is
    If you don't want to hear my thoughts on it then skip to the beamshots at 19:17

rugerman, mikee, viper and 2 others like this.

It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of it with say a 2X at 300-400yds on cattle or deer.
    GWH and Moa Hunter like this.

Thanks for the review, I suspect a return of Star Wars is no the cards... So focused like a light saber. Any indication of costings for the package?

GWH
    Crazy narrow beam, i guess that's needed to reach out to 1000m let alone 3,000m, but I really don't see the need for such distance in a hunting torch.

It would be next to useless for scanning to find anything im picking as the field of view is so small. Therefore you'd need one of the more normal Maxtochs to use as a scanner, therefore the added range of this one is not really usefull in my opinion.
    rugerman likes this.

Yeah, I did mention in the review that I'd only ever use it as a gun light for lining up each shot. Searching is useless and most of the time I couldn't identify where on the hill I was. Around the edge it was fine, but point it into the center and it was difficult to get a sense of where I was

You never take a range spec as usable lighting, so that 3,000m is only giving good usable light at roughly 1,500m at the most. Just like the 2X's range of 1,200m is only decent to 500-600m.

I'll be selling this L3K for $300 which is what I paid with 50% off for the full kit incl mount and pressure switch. I just wanted to review it, so no point in keeping it. I don't really go hunting anymore, so it'll just sit there with its only use being to show it off
    Sika stag, viper and Joe_90 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Anyone else have to do a double take at that clip photo, or do I just have badbrain again?
    you where looking for the bat symbol weren't you....
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

I cannot quite place where exactly a laser like this would be of value? My Maxtoch Sniper lights up my cattle's eyes at over 1000m. I can't shoot accurately at night beyond 250m. Their led torches have such well designed reflectors that light the centre up brilliantly, whilst spilling useful quantities of light into the halo area, allowing you to scan a large area very effectively and quickly.

I would be very careful about working in with Maxtoch. Several members of this forum did significant development work with them in their earlier days, to get their product to such a high state of reliability and usefulness, then they did the dirty on them. Their product is now 3X the price it was in the early days.

You have been warned
    rugerman, 6x47, Sika stag and 3 others like this.

Yes, but the prices only increased so that global dealers were getting the sales instead of guys wanting to just buy direct. I struggle to make a profit on the few brands I have where direct pricing is quite a bit cheaper, but there's no way to compete with China prices which makes things very difficult.

I'd never be a dealer for them as their pricing is too high and my custom models are very competitive on performance and price. I probably should look into getting my own brand on them at some stage.

I must say that being able to easily light up 1300m away was very cool. I also have the Lumintop BLF GT90 which is a huge monster at 2.7km, it's mind blowing that such a small light in comparison is spec'd higher. Much tighter beam, but still very impressive...
    viper likes this.

Well, that's just what I heard anyway over at budgetlightforum, no idea on what really happened

It's crazy how much that red filter cuts the range down, this is why I sell red leds rather than filters.

Measured 2,920m down to just 648m

Maxtoch used to be very realistically priced but it seemed that once the main kiwi light gurus had a play with the design, and generated a huge amount of recognition for the brand and torches, they had the rug pulled out from under them by Maxtoch upping their prices by a large amount.

I'm still keen on a torch with maybe 4 batteries that has a larger reflector. Not for hunting but general shining around and maybe search and rescue type work where a fairly wide spill is combined with a real good throw
    MB likes this.

search n rescue type work is an interesting one...for straight tracking the M2 archer is too much torch....gone back to older less potent model....common as muck lenser.....
    four AAAs is ok,pain in arse to change...but thats what single AAA coast light is for..along with sound light line type stuff,that one lives on lanyard around my neck....
    bought a big torch from bargain bin in bunnings years back...similar size to old dolphin lantern...rechargable and it has pencil beam...good on game at 4-500 yards but hopeless for spotting..pencil beams work off back of ute if one person has it and adds light on animal help in bigger /wider light....
    got a single AA light off trademe..waterproof...picture is in cup of water...its output is dismal BUT it is reliable and has just enough light to be useful.....a better light with similar size and single AA power would be ideal....
    you fellas havent lived untill you have tried spotlighting with mini maglite....or hella big blue inspection light powered by truck battery in a wheel barrow.....you only put battery in frame pack ONCE.....
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    I'm still keen on a torch with maybe 4 batteries that has a larger reflector. Not for hunting but general shining around and maybe search and rescue type work where a fairly wide spill is combined with a real good throw
    Might want to look at the Acebeam K75, but that'll set you back $449. Depends on what you define as good throw

The only issue with the models pushing a lot of lumens and throw is the Turbo is almost always very short. The ones with lower lumens are a narrower beam which would limit the amount of spill. What range of good usable lighting are you after?

Go all out and get the Lumintop GT94
    rugerman likes this.

I was thinking of something with the intensity of the maxtoch 2X dedomed at 100m, but at 5-600m. I would say the heat build up might be quite big etc.. with an extended "turbo" mode. I don't believe in too bright

Agree, little to no use in the NZ hunting context.

The throw of the beam is super important. I have one of the first M1 Archers and it’s my go to, mate purchased a newer one and the light is too white and beam too narrow.

Would be interested to see what is out there with excellent throw, not too white but a whole lot of light.

I also have an Maxtoch XPro, good but beam is a bit tight. Ideal world same torch with better throw