Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Maxtoch SN6X-2S issues

Maxtoch SN6X-2S issues

Anyone have issues with their Maxtoch? Using mine over the weekend and it just kept turning off - click the switch and it turns back on no issues, but can't understand why its just stopping.

Any ideas?

Flat batteries, or possibly overheating?

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    Flat batteries, or possibly overheating?
    Doubt either - batteries are definitely charged, and it was doing it within a few minutes of turning on - and then other times I could use it for long time without it doing it.
    Appeared too random in timing to be overheating.

I've seen a couple of similar issue before. They were battery related, either the charger wasn't charging enough or one cell was shot.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I've seen a couple of similar issue before. They were battery related, either the charger wasn't charging enough or one cell was shot.
    Cheers - I'll swap out with some other batteries and see if that makes a difference. Might be time for a new set anyways.

SiB
    Mine did the same. Assumed it couldn't be batteries as the light was still bright. Duh. Fully charged up the batteries and sorted.

So I got a new set of those fancy Panasonic batteries, and the issue still exists - I'm thinking its something to do with the switch....
    Is there anything magical to the way the switch works - if I open it up for a look see ???

Measure the voltage of each cell when they are taken off the charger. Should be close to 4.2V. Also unscrew the battery tube from the head flange, drop a couple of cells in and measure the voltage between the end of the tube and the cell nipple. Make sure the ring inside the tail cap is done up tight, they can work loose.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Measure the voltage of each cell when they are taken off the charger. Should be close to 4.2V. Also unscrew the battery tube from the head flange, drop a couple of cells in and measure the voltage between the end of the tube and the cell nipple. Make sure the ring inside the tail cap is done up tight, they can work loose.
    Cheers - will do tonight.

Make sure the ring inside the tail cap is done up tight, they can work loose.
    Right I'm just about to loose my rag with this light - its stunning when it goes and flippin annoying when it plays up.
    Was out over the weekend and the issue started up again - seems to be something to do with contact or the switch.
    I have the head of the torch tight against the main body - but it seems to be iffy with the tightness of the end/switch piece - if I back that off slightly there is a sweet spot where the torch will work, done up tight it wont.
    But it works and then dulls and then goes off - just slightly wiggle the end piece and goes back on.
    Not the ring inside, as its tight.

Any ideas please?

Probably worth sending Maxtoch a message, explaining your issue and maybe asking for a replacement switch and/or tailcap unit.

Check for hot spots around every accessible part of the torch when it starts playing up. Electrical joints can heat up causing thermal cycling which increases the resistance across "dodgy" contacts which can cause them to heat up and possibly opening or becoming too high in resistance for the voltage to pass. Very lightly constructed contacts will heat up very fast but also cool fast causing an "on/off" cycling effect or something in between.

Back the battery tube out a turn or two from the head end. Often get trouble with Panasonic batteries which are way over length and this gives a little more room. The tail cap needs to be on tight and make sure the tailcap end of the batery tube is clear of grease.

Back the battery tube out a turn or two from the head end. Often get trouble with Panasonic batteries which are way over length and this gives a little more room. The tail cap needs to be on tight and make sure the tailcap end of the batery tube is clear of grease.
    Hmmm this might be it - brand new Panny batteries.
    will try tonight - cheers.

@gadgetman - thanks think you might be on the money here.
    Just made sure the metal ring around the button cap was real tight (nice wee fencing staple tool) - wound the switch end tight and backed the head off a bit.
    Shook the torch and waved it around and no issues thus far.
    gadgetman, StrikerNZ and Pengy like this.