Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Meat Cleavers - Silky Ono ?

Gidday Guys

I have my Dads old meat cleaver but I'm "not my old Dad" and for some reason I don't get on very well with it. Bacically I'm looking for one a bit heavier, the one I have is 504 grams, and I'm thinking up round 750 might be better.

I know its not exactly a meat cleaver but it looks like it would work as well and is the right weight - the Silky Ono SILKY ONO AXE

Any thoughts on what else might be good. I mainly use it for cutting down sheep and doing the chops, usually in combination with a meat saw (thats stuffed too !!)

Cheers
    Foster

mate don't give up on a good cleaver.....get yourself a mallet of some sort,place it on your chops and give it a belt or two on the back edge,cuts them neatly WITHOUT chips of bone as no multiple hits, as for meat saw, slip into bunnings/mitre 10/placemakers and grab an elcheapho saw from the bargain bin $5-$10 and go to it,when its stuffed just go get another one.

Funny you should say that, I only just the other day learnt about the "belt or two" to the back of the cleaver thing, and haven't tried it out yet - despite eating many bone chips and living for 30 years with the cooks grumbles !!. But my cleaver is a bit light I think for cutting down.

silky are quality saws.that cleaver is one piece.i have a "lobster" brand tomahawk,japanese made and one piece.my father bought it 50 odd years ago,the steel is superb and it is still going strong.

I use the saw down the back bone and then break it down from there using knife n cleaver..saw if needed.
    and mate for ya chops, cut through spare ribs with cleaver then slice down with knife then tap cleaver through last wee bit of spine to get job done. I have chops from back leg roast right up to the front quarter, some times I "banjo" the front quarter off, and do chops right up to the neck. banjo makes a very small roast for two or three people. and if you make chops 2 rib jobbies you can have a real feast.........

Well if you want a "mans cleaver" you can't go past the Svord cleaver, it's 1.5 kg, has a L6 blade that's a good 7 mm thick, a 10 inch blade and a 5.5 inch micarta covered full tang handle, would probably be good for moose chops! Of course it's also 400 so maybe just get a mallet and sharpens your old mans one...

If you are lucky you can find ICEL brand cleavers. We used to sell them in the 90s. Hard to find now and I dont know who (if anyone) brings in ICEL as I have been out of the trade too long.

ZANGER-ICEL MEAT CLEAVER, 150mm - Wollongong General Agency

Portuguese made using German steel. They also made some very good knives, but were not so popular as people had not heard of the brand.