Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3

Thread: Mid layer/Insulation layer ideas

Mid layer/Insulation layer ideas

Looking for a high quality durable item of clothing that would be good over the standard long sleeve polypro and t-shirt. I keep it pretty simple with my clothes with a polypro,t-shirt then it has been a long sleeve fleece if it gets cold and then finally a rain jacket.

Looking for a substitute for the big fleece jersey.

Cheers

Softshell works pretty well there. Flat out stops the wind, a bit moisture resistant (some more than others)

Doesn't soak you in sweat like a big fleece layer does..

Thinking one of these would do the tric.. just dont really like the price/shipping Peloton 240 Full Zip Hoodie - Camo Hunting Fleece | KUIU

Hey, me and a mate just ordered one of the peleton 240 tops each. Should hopefully have it this week.

Base depending in weather is merino singlet, tee or long sleeve

Again then depending on weather its the sitka traverse top or swazi severn top which is windproof

Then a jacket on top
    #BallisticFists

Ok since Kuiu were/are having another sale i bought a TETON ZIP-T for a summer fleece/winter layer, a Peleton 130 for a base layer (summer shirt etc) and a KENAI HOODED INSULATED JACKET for over my kit when i dont want to put on my raincoat yet or its just getting a bit cold. Got the Kenai in graphite colour so i can wear in town etc.

First Kuiu purchases, seems to be ehaps of options that do similiar things in the lineup so its all a bit confusing
    Shaun@KUIU likes this.

I use a cheap-ass macpac fleece zip neck or a cactus fleece. they're warm & weigh not much. also a macpac ultralite down jacket for extra warmth

softshells suck (they're not as good for warmth as a fleece, weigh&cost 4x as much, not as good at being a wind/rain shell as the hardshell you already should have, and as for breathability, just don't wear any sort of shell when climbing/walking unless it's raining.... in which case softshells still suck because they absorb hella water)

Get yourself a merino icebreaker top and dump the polypropylene top, smell better, breath better and retain 70% of their insulation properties even when wet...

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Get yourself a merino icebreaker top and dump the polypropylene top, smell better, breath better and retain 70% of their insulation properties even when wet...
    May be somewhat true but it has it's downfalls, I don't rate the stuff. Will stick to synthetics

Yeah not sure whether I'd buy merino again . It may be warm when wet but marginally. Also they chill off real fast I have an under armour plain tee shirt and that was way better. This is in the context of while being active though. Not while at camp, sleeping etc
    #BallisticFists

Yep and it wears out fast, costs a heap and is very heavy when wet. Seems to take ages to dry as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Yep and it wears out fast, costs a heap and is very heavy when wet. Seems to take ages to dry as well.
    Interesting.... I wear merino every day as a base layer in winter (work in a cold tin shed with frozen steel your fingers will stick to)
    There is definitely merino and merino some is good some is shit, brass monkey is one I have found to be bloody warm and soft not scratchy( cos I am soft) and last well even with constant attack of small droplets of molten steel. Another brand my thumbs went threw it taking it off for the first time
    Certainly I smell like an old billy goat by smoko wearing polyprop.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yeah that's it I guess , like most there is good and bad maybe I haven't had top of the line merino but it just doesn't do it for me. Have never had to wear polypro or real warm kit other than hunting so haven't had to deal with the supposed smell but to be fair I haven't noticed polypro stinking... My mates probably have noticed me stinking tho haha

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    softshells suck (they're not as good for warmth as a fleece, weigh&cost 4x as much, not as good at being a wind/rain shell as the hardshell you already should have, and as for breathability, just don't wear any sort of shell when climbing/walking unless it's raining.... in which case softshells still suck because they absorb hella water)
    My kuiu soft-shell is waterproof & warm enough that it makes a pretty good catch-all for day hunts or slow bush hunting.

Definitely if I was travelling light & pumping up big hills it wouldn't be an ideal solution, but for fair weather hunting it makes for a good jacket to throw on when you slow / stop. I take a plastic poncho if I'm using it for the weekend in case it shits itself completely.

I use the Sitka Fanatic Hoody and she's bloody great. Wind proof + the odd rain shower will bead straight off it, sleeves include mitts, balaclava inbuilt into hood which I use a hell of a lot more often than I thought. Light as a feather as well and hasn't had any holes ripped in it yet. Doesn't seem to stink as much as other stuff I've used either.