Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: The New - Amazon Tax - comments and future facts for us

The New - Amazon Tax - comments and future facts for us

As I am sure all have heard - a GST collection method has been formatted to collect GST on all online/overseas purchases "at source"
    Any supplier in NZ selling 60K+ will be requested to register with NZ GST IRD and add GST to a purchase for an item destined for New Zealand

I think I have that correct - but more will be known mid morning

Could be an active an interesting Thread

Fair enough? I deal with GST all the time, oh its due on the 7th again. Its an fffing pain!! but a fair tax, if any tax is fair? Amazon will enjoy!
    JoshC likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

This won’t be the silver bullet that NZ retailers are hoping for, because it will still be much cheaper to buy from overseas - the difference between prices here and those overseas is not 15%, more like double in a lot of cases.

The service is generally better as well. Last week I bought an item out of the States on Monday and it arrived here on Friday - at a rural delivery address in Canterbury. I couldn’t buy it from Auckland and have it delivered in that time normally.

I’m all for supporting local businesses, but not when it will cost me hundreds of dollars more to do so. Last year I bought a Zeiss Victory HT scope from Australia and landed it here for NZ$2400. Add 15% = $2760. Show me where I could buy that scope for anything like that here. I would guess that I would have to add another $1500 to buy it here, and that is a lot of extra money just to support a local business.

MB
    I'm not thrilled to hear this. I suspect the Chinese will find a way around it though, even if it means dropping their prices by 15%. I too don't mind paying a bit extra for local companies, a bit being 10 or maybe 20%, but no to 100% or 1000% markups.

Taxinder and her lot are desperate for cash - this has nothing to do with fairness for retailers. GST on items under $100 will cost more to fleecy & administer than $ recovered! Go figure
    tetawa, JoshC, Matt2308 and 6 others like this.

Unfortunately you probably won't just pay the GST on the product, will also be a biosecurity levy and possibly another one as well. Total import tax on NZ$2400 is $409.24 ( of which $360 is GST)

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Taxinder and her lot are desperate for cash - this has nothing to do with fairness for retailers. GST on items under $100 will cost more to fleecy & administer than $ recovered! Go figure
    Gotta pay for touchy feely somehow, Land grants for lesbian islamic transgender baby seals don't pay for them selves

We better stock up then.
    Maca49, shift14 and FatLabrador like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Unfortunately you probably won't just pay the GST on the product, will also be a biosecurity levy and possibly another one as well. Total import tax on NZ$2400 is $409.24 ( of which $360 is GST)
    I do not think that is correct
    The "Seller" in UK or Chins or wherever will add GST to the price that you will pay
    The item if less than 1000NZ$ or not for commercial resale - will pass without the Customs fees
    Although - clothing and Boots (footwear) still command 10% Duty - so not sure if Overseas Seller will add that in - again if they do add into sale price, it should pass through NZ Boarder without any other charges

Retailers in NZ don't always have what I want to buy, most of what I buy from overseas is because that's the only place I can get it. They aren't even in a position to be competitive on pricing because their range is unappealing.
    Beaker and MB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by square1 View Post
    Retailers in NZ don't always have what I want to buy, most of what I buy from overseas is because that's the only place I can get it. They aren't even in a position to be competitive on pricing because their range is unappealing.
    Yes - NZ population is not big enough for them to take a punt on a "larger" variety/styles of products etc
    What might be popular today is old hat next month and if you bring to much stock of an item that losses flavor - your are at a loss

But - Retail is doomed - I meaning small non corporate Retail
    This will not help - its to late, even adding in GST etc on most items sourced from overseas - those items will still be cheaper and they arrive at you door without hassles of Street shopping/parking etc
    And - as you rightly state - a much greater selection to choose from
    Last edited by Sarvo; 01-05-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    mikee, Beaker, Steve123 and 1 others like this.

Looking at their own advert there they say that by adding GST on the jacket and dropping the tariff that the jacket will now be cheaper. I call bull shit. How does dropping the tariffs and fees and adding gst make the system better for NZ? Dearer to run, and less income.

I dont get how dropping a tariff, adding GST and making the overall cost cheaper, will help. Most companies will simply refuse to add GST or become involved with the IRD and with such a small market the result will be they will simply stop selling in NZ. Many US companies have done this already. I would suggest an example would be Boyds stocks. They could easily sell their dearer stocks here. All they need to do is go through the bureaucracy of the export paperwork and fees imposed by their state department. They have decided this is too much hassle for small markets and simply decided the best business decision for them is to not sell these stocks and to not be tied up with the cost of the paperwork. I se the same thing with many of the offshore sellers. They will simply say the small amount of sales is not worth the hassle and put NZ on the do not ship there list.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    I'm not thrilled to hear this. I suspect the Chinese will find a way around it though, even if it means dropping their prices by 15%. I too don't mind paying a bit extra for local companies, a bit being 10 or maybe 20%, but no to 100% or 1000% markups.
    Some Chinese already offer options - example, brother in law buy's a remote helicopter off the net (nz 2K+) and in the "note to seller box" is an option to add a purchase price for the invoice. $275 seems fair he thinks and guess what, "it flew under the radar".

i just ordered some electronic parts, delivered its going to cost me under $20 for 4 of them. in kiwiland $29 each
    JoshC likes this.