Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New Dive computer

R93

New Dive computer

Anyone use and can vouch for the reliability of the Suunto type dive watches and sender units?
    Seems good idea having one less bulky hose dragging around but I have broken oodles of watch straps over the years doing less ordinary activities than hunting crays.

Having air integration and relative info in a glance seems quite practical to me and saves fishing around for an elusive hose trailing behind you everytime you wanna check your gauges.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

P38
    R93

I use the Mares computers and have it mounted on the dangly hose thing.

Like you seen too many broken wrist straps to risk it.

Suunto make very good dive computers.

Cheers
    Pete

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

New Dive computer

Suunto Cobra is awesome. I now though have a Mares. The wrist mounts are a worry for me as my wrist is often jammed into nasty spots.
    Both brands make good product. If you want I can send you my Mares for a trial?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Suunto Cobra is awesome. I now though have a Mares. The wrist mounts are a worry for me as my wrist is often jammed into nasty spots.
    Both brands make good product. If you want I can send you my Mares for a trial?
    Bit cheaper than the Suunto as well I imagine?
    Could rig up a safety rig I spose if it breaks thru a loop on the band?
    Not keen on borrowing stuff like that mate but thanks for the offer.
    I could lose it in a bathtub knowing my luck.
    Didn't know you dived?
    I have a few spots in Haast you can go.
    I will sit in the boat and see if you come up in one piece before I get wet😆
    What did the mares set you back James?

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Bit cheaper than the Suunto as well I imagine?
    Could rig up a safety rig I spose if it breaks thru a loop on the band?
    Not keen on borrowing stuff like that mate but thanks for the offer.
    I could lose it in a bathtub knowing my luck.
    Didn't know you dived?
    I have a few spots in Haast you can go.
    I will sit in the boat and see if you come up in one piece before I get wet
    What did the mares set you back James?

Insurance claim so not much!
    I have not been out for a real dive in ages so the gear has been sitting nearly new for a few seasons now. The Mares computer is on a quick disconnect and is kept seperate from the hoses etc.
    will put up some pics for you but I really like the Mares gear. The BCD is very cool. It was up there with the better ones when new. I'd be mad keen to dive down Haast. I was supposed to do my instructors ticket in Belize before I got stuck on a boat out of Miami.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

R93
    Haast is awesome diving when conditions are good.
    Only trouble is you only use 1/4 tank to get your limit of crays.
    Yup gotta get new BC and regs as my stuff is chewed thru.
    Seen a deal on an aqualung weight integrated BC sherwood regs and Suunto computer and sender unit that looked pretty good.

The computer is a Mares Nemo Air. Quite nice and easy to use. The Suunto I had was an Eon? That was super easy too. I think the profiles in the newer Mares are better plus it does mixed air if I want.

I also paid a bit more for the Dragonfly AT with air integration. By far the best BCD I have used yet.

I like my older Oceanic Omega regs even over the new Mares Prestige. I wanted the titaniums but none in NZ when I ordered.

Always have a manual glass single contents gauge for pressure and you can't go wrong with the shearwater computers . I have three and two on the rebreather.stay away from the transmitter type units for tank pressure more to go wrong more to service.

Get the merino lined wettie too. They rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    Always have a manual glass single contents gauge for pressure and you can't go wrong with the shearwater computers . I have three and two on the rebreather.stay away from the transmitter type units for tank pressure more to go wrong more to service.
    Ooh. Rebreather. Cool

Shearwater computers have a Australasian agent here in Wellington last time I checked.if you had any issues or upgrades it is sorted here pronto .try that with any other brand.i believe they are the best on the market.

If I may hijack slightly R93?

What would budget but not likely to kill me gear from scratch and courses set me back?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I use a hose mounted Sherwood Computer, for most of my recreation and lake diving. Problem with wrist mounts is they get scratched and are also a pain in the arse when trying to get your hand in the tight cray hole. Most of my commercial work was done without a computer, dive super's role.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Shearwater computers have a Australasian agent here in Wellington last time I checked.if you had any issues or upgrades it is sorted here pronto .try that with any other brand.i believe they are the best on the market.
    Concur. I still have a Shearwater Pusuit that I bought to use with my Russian breather. I ran a 3 cell probe in the counter lung. IIthink its been superseded by the Kestrel which has a colour OLED display or something but the Pusuit still does plenty enough for me.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

R93
    I work with a ex NZ Navy clearance diver who recommended the Suunto.
    I never go much below 30m as I only dive for my guts and never go longer than 45-50 mins before I hit the red so not to worried about what I get as long as it works as intended.