Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New XML chip hunting lights - some ideas

New XML chip hunting lights - some ideas

I mentioned a Maxtoch SN XML chip hunting light in the magazine section. Here's a bit more info on some of the new technology.

Led Lenser make some good torches, though the entry level P7 has been largely surpassed by more advanced technology these days. In paddock tests (we had a bunch of guys and couple of dozen torches/headlamps to test across a markered paddock) the P7 was good to about 75m for bunny identification. P14, P17 etc good lights - and they gain distance from their 200-300 lumen LED by narrowing to a pencil beam. Quite costly however at $150-200 per unit.

The new XML LED chip is far more efficient with much greater light output. BUT - you have to be careful which XML torch you buy because XML chips produce a dispersed, wider beam (maybe 120 degrees) light and THEY DO NOT GET DISTANCE WITH NARROW OR ZOOM HEADS. Most of the XML stuff on trademe is no good for hunting.

For a good hunting XML torch you need a deep reflector to focus the light output, and it must also be wide - e.g. 60+mm torch head width. Then you have thumping 1000 lumen power - daylight at 100m, bunny spotting capability with scope to 150m, and bigger animal spotting to 200+. Mine is one of the best XML hunters I know of - and in pitch darkness it will just touch a woolshed across the farm (no ambient light eg streetlamps) at 670m.

This is an example of the XML I've bought into NZ for mates - and they LOVE THEM. This company does not do direct orders to public - only B2B, and products are beautifully made. In bulk orders for mates we paid $60NZ each incl express delivery.The Maxtoch SN is a designated search and rescue light and takes 2x 18650 batts:

SN6X-2 XML T6 has been released. [12/08/2011]

You can buy a near equivalent, perhaps not to same production quality from quite a good chinese site - Manafont:

Manafont.com | $54.43 Sky Ray STL-V2 Cree T6 Adjustable 3 Or 5 Modes LED Flashlight (2*18650/3*16340/3*CR123A)

and its needs good grunty 18650, 3000mAh (milliAmphours) rechargeable batts like these:

Manafont.com | $11.7 Protected TrustFire 18650 3.7V 3000mAh Rechargeable Batteries (2pcs/set)

and one of these:

Manafont.com | $6.97 AC Lithium Battery Charger With 2 LED Indicators for 18650 (1-meter/100V~240V)

Prices quoted are in US$ so this whole kit incl 2x sets of recharge batts will cost about $104NZ delivered against the wee P7's $120 here. This Skyray copy of the Maxtoch SN is also rather fancy - has both 3 and 5 mode operations, soft touch rear switch mode control as well as on/off, and mode memory. Goes back to last beam used.

Light output not comparable with HIDs, but stonking power in the 50-150 spotting range - like a floodlight. Led Lensers get distance by zooming/narrowing beam, whereas this pumps out 1000 lumens for both spill and long distance throw. Can be used at 5m for possums or 200m scanning across paddocks without narrowing to a pencil beam. We have various off-the-truck spotlights and HID etc, but now we only use these XML lights for bunnies - all purpose and no wires and no batt packs. Quite light at 262 gms and at 9.5" long not a problem mounted off scope with 25mm rings. Run time huge on low power, and just under 2 hours on continuous max mode.

If you want just a cheapie (about $19NZ delivered) with zoom head, this next example is average build quality, but far beyond the P7 in performance. It is a conventional Q5 chip rather than an XML but still just touches trees across back paddock at 500m. Also takes the 18650 batts - but just one of them:

Manafont.com | $14.9 SMALL SUN ZY-C10-S Cree Q5 3-Mode Flood-to-throw LED Flashlight - Black (18650)

This wee cheapie will match torches many times the price and like the Led Lensers gets distance by zooming to a very tight pencil beam. On very tight beam has a little square shaped light and at night just picks out the 3" curly insulators on top of the electric fence at 150m. Maxtoch SN gets slightly better distance but lights up half of Canterbury...according to the local police force..

Well worth a thought.

Note: Manafont like other chinese sites have a return policy if products no good. Positives = cheap price, negative = can take 2 weeks to 2 months to get here. DX (Dealextreme) were good to deal with but now take your order even when they don't have products available and can wait several months at times.
    Last edited by mudgripz; 13-04-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Spanners likes this.

hey mudgripz, thanks for that write up, i've been looking at getting something like this for a bit of spotlighting and also SAR work/training (im a newbie).

AB Precision
    HIDX1

This is the shizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz how do we get one? or find the price?

Nice write up there big fella..maybe you could do group buy? since you have got them before?

Keen to buy one.

"Nice write up there big fella" - not so big, just well aged...

That HIDX1 is a whopper though.

Spec says 1500gms (3+ lbs), and 380mm or 15" long. I don't know where you could rifle mount it - too heavy off scope as would likely skew it, and would play hell with harmonics if below barrel mounted. Maybe front stud rail. I wonder what batts cost - you'd need at least three plus charger.

Humungous power but.. you could tell which bunnies you spotted but didn't hit last trip as they'd be the ones tapping round the paddock with white canes..

And imagine what the police force would say if they pick you up with 6000 lumens! Might have to 'show' him and accidentally shine it in his eyeballs once... He would certainly not be writing any tickets for some time..

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    "Nice write up there big fella" - not so big, just well aged...

That HIDX1 is a whopper though.

Spec says 1500gms (3+ lbs), and 380mm or 15" long. I don't know where you could rifle mount it - too heavy off scope as would likely skew it, and would play hell with harmonics if below barrel mounted. Maybe front stud rail. I wonder what batts cost - you'd need at least three plus charger.

Humungous power but.. you could tell which bunnies you spotted but didn't hit last trip as they'd be the ones tapping round the paddock with white canes..

And imagine what the police force would say if they pick you up with 6000 lumens! Might have to 'show' him and accidentally shine it in his eyeballs once... He would certainly not be writing any tickets for some time..
    shes a big torch but says it will go 2000m so it would have to be huge, would be impressivve to see in action tho

Would you look at doing a order for the ones you recomend? since you have got them before?

I guess I could.

The Maxtoch SN is a cracker of a hunting torch - good spill plus very good distance. Tonight I could see the sheep's bodies at a measured 250m without scope - eyes well past that. While some powerful spotlights will be better, we no longer use our off-the-truck spotlights as this one torch does the lot - from 5m to 150 on bunnies - a perfect paddock scanner. No zoom head or adjustments, no narrow beams - just push the button and its daylight at 100. Boys love them - call them 'sun on a stick' !

See if anyone else is interested.

There are not enough numbers to do a consignment from Maxtoch - so I recommend people who want an SN and batts and charger to order personally the Skyray STL-V2 equivalent. Looks like the identical torch - or very close to it - unlike a few other clones. Very highly rated. I think its the SN with another company name on it.

To order from Manafont, first google Paypal and join there. All dollar transactions go through your credit card with paypal which protects your payment and details.

Then google Manafont, register, and order and pay for your choices. Very easy - huge numbers order from the good chinese sites at fraction of cost. Their costs include post but this often takes several weeks. Just get some help from someone computer savvy if needed but its easy.

Details for the Skyray STL-V2, good quality batteries (you might want 3 sets), charger etc are in the first post of this thread. This really is a hell of a good torch. Its a spotlight in a handheld. Here's a review on it:

Review: SkyRay STL-V2 XM-L T6 3 or 5 modes adjustable | BudgetLightForum.com Go for it!

After a night of some very jumpy bunnies responding to white lights I've ordered a WF501B with a red LED, just to see whether that doesn't spook them as much. Used to use red beams on spotlights in the UK for short range work when they were spooky.

Mike how short are you on numbers for a maxtorch order? they look ideal .
    Just a note on the Hid lights, iv been trying a 3500 lm hid spotlight.Has a ton of light but there havnt been many nights clear enough to get any real bennifit in terms of distance,any moisture or dust in the air at all,which is most nights this time of year and all you see in the distance is fog.Very bright fog though.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Mud id be keen on getting one as sneeze said how many ya short??
    Have a WF-800 found in the cupboard wanting to get rid of too if anyone keen,,,,,mmmmm to many torches!!!
    Last edited by Bushrash; 19-04-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL

I'm keen on one as well

same

me too

Not so easy to do order for people who don't already have right batts and charger. For SNs you need to get good quality 18650 batts and charger anyway from Manafont or Dealextreme? I'd use Manafont these days as DX has been taking money while not having product in stock lately. The SN may not give runtime with the cheaper blue 18650 batts on trademe.

Here are the batt and charger details:

Stick with these ones - they work well in SNs.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.ph ... set-p-7941

and one of these:

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.ph ... 40v-p-5643)

And while you're there, check this out - appears to be a Skyray branded SN - or very close equivalent. Superior to Fandyfire/Uniquefire copies on various sites:

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.ph ... 23a-p-7191

The Skyray STL-V2 is a beauty. Appears to be same item.

SO.. if you have to get batts and charger from Manafont anyway, I'd just grab a torch as well. I could possibly do another torch order, but don't want to do batts and chargers etc from a seperate company - would take alot of time and extra hassle. And pretty certain that STL-V2 is an SN, whereas other similar variants appear to have lesser quality components.

Thoughts?

LinkBacks (?)