Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Off to the states

I am planning a trip to the USA and starting to save to bring some toys home... Any suggestions on what I should add to my list:

A goretex type rain jacket- undecided on brand
    Asolo Sasslongs for when my current pair wear out
    Dress boots to replace my sorry RM Williams
    A nice all purpose knife
    2x Harris bipods
    2x scopes to learn to dial with- undecided on brand
    Compact binos 8x- leica at this stage

Anyone have a suggestion of a nice knife with the straight blade/slight drop point sort of style that I should look out for? Bout a 5inch blade is what I would like. Budget $120USD

And also any good outdoor brands for jackets. Just want a shell for in the hills, light and water/wind proof. Not worried too much about warmth as wear merino and fleece under it

I will get a whole lot of other toys I think just for fun. Looking on line and scope caps, rifle slings, swivels, are insanely cheap.

I thought about going down the import a rifle track but I think thatll go in the too hard basket

Yeah so any suggestions on Knife, jacket and anything else I should be taking advantage of would be welcomed!

Oh and a Lansky sharpening kit

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I just got back from there today....

Cabelas will have EVERYTHING you want at pretty good prices.

Be careful bringing any guns stuff back - 3 of our 5 bags were searched before they left the states.
    Lucky the pricked the 'right' ones

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    I just got back from there today....

Cabelas will have EVERYTHING you want at pretty good prices.

Be careful bringing any guns stuff back - 3 of our 5 bags were searched before they left the states.
    Lucky the pricked the 'right' ones
    Yup no gun parts as such in luggage. Prob ship some of it back home outside of original packaging as a present for the family. Knives should be sweet as long as I am open about it wont they?

Would scopes and bipods be OK in my luggage or better not to go down that road?

Scopes and bipod ok in luggage

I've had 2 packages seized in the US in last month - stocks - and nothing flash or tacticool

What about if I was to shoot up to Canada and send some stuff home? Is the process friendlier from there?

Nope

lovely haha

Will stick to basics.. Might send a boyds stock home though cause they cheapo

K95
    Spanners, What's the deal with buying firearms in the States? Might be a stupid question but is it possible to buy them there and bring them back? US citizens don't seem to have any trouble bringing their firearms over here to hunt.

Not worth the hassle - state dept permits - 1-12 months, exporter etc

Yeah , leave it to spanners to do !!! LOL

Im in the states now, go home for 5 days next week then back again for another 2 weeks, its a work trip but have had a bit of a look around, variance in pricing is quite surpising, I would only bother with the big stores like cabellas, some of the smaller places are a lot more expensive

Cheapest big box store is Scheels, then Sportsman's warehouse then Cabelas, Bass pro is more expensive again. Rods and reels are 1/2 the price of here.
    Cheapest are some of the mail order outfits, Cheaper than dirt, Nachez shooting supplies, Midway, Gamiel's etc but you have to pay with credit card, they won't deliver to a hotel address and normally will deliver only to the card holders address, so if you have a mate there, get him to buy and you can re-imburse him. Also much cheaper are ammo components etc.
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    Im in the states now, go home for 5 days next week then back again for another 2 weeks, its a work trip but have had a bit of a look around, variance in pricing is quite surpising, I would only bother with the big stores like cabellas, some of the smaller places are a lot more expensive
    Agree, my rangefinder was 449 at the local shop and 349 at cabellas so im glad i went to South Dakota for a look.

Im off to south dakota when i come back on the return trip, a few places there i want to check out....