Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By chrome
  • 1 Post By MassiveAttack

Thread: Options for mounting a Maxtoch on your rifle

Ejected

Options for mounting a Maxtoch on your rifle

I have come up with a system I am quite happy with so wanted to share the experiance.

First off get a decent torch.* This is covered in other threads so I won't post any links.* A key factor in the mounting decisions is the fact that something like the Maxtoch M24 has quite a large reflector on it so this needs to clear the other bits of the rifle.

For the torch end I reccomend using quick release scope mounts.* This set is reasonable priced, high enough for a M24 and comes in 30mm with plastic 1 inch adaptors.* I don't know of any 30mm torches but the plastic adaptors stop any scratches on your precisssoiusss.

$12.66 USD for two.

30mm Flashlight Laser Sight Mount Holders for 21mm Rail Gun (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Now you need a rail on your gun somewhere.* If you have a AR15 with tacticool quad rail then your all done.

If you have a rifle for a pitcanny rail for the scope then you can use a offset rail mount and place it under the scope.* I have mine on my anti terrorism defence rifle behind the rear ring under the objective lense of the scope which puts the torch close to your trigger hand so you can turn it off and on easy.* I had to do some fiddling to get the positioning right and for the reflector on the maxtoch to clear the scope turrets.

This is in my opinion the best solution as the torch is directly attached to the rail and receiver instead of being attached to your fragile and expensive scope but you need a rail to make it work.

$7.13 USD

Aluminum Alloy Gun Extension Rail Mount for 20mm Guns - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

The next potential solution is to attach a rail adaptor to the front sling stud.* This has it's pros and cons but will work on most rifles although don't expect to use the torch and sling at the same time.

$8.94 USD

Hot Aluminum Alloy 20mm QD Picatinny / Weaver Adapter Sling - Black

The final solution (insert Hitler joke here) that will work on any scoped rifle is a scope rail adaptor.* This does have the side effect of using the scope as the mount so if you drop your rifle on the torch side then you will likely break the scope as the aliminum scope tube is probably the weakest link.

It is 30mm with plastic one inch adaptor so no ring marks on your 1 inch scope and also works with 30mm scope (they are no shown in the pic but it does come with them).* You can orientate it any way you like (above the scope or to one of the sides) and if you get a bit Rev Rog about it you can mount multiple rails\torches to your scope.

$7.63 USD

Aluminum Alloy Tactical Gun Single Rail Mount for 25mm / 30mm Barrels - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I will take some pics of my rifles with these on when I get home so you can see the full setup.

That sling stud adapter is a neat idea. Totally getting one of them

I use Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

rubber mount so less recoil killing your LED circuits, have had a torch fail using solid aluminium mounts. May not be an issue with a quality torch like the Maxtoch

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    I use Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

rubber mount so less recoil killing your LED circuits, have had a torch fail using solid aluminium mounts. May not be an issue with a quality torch like the Maxtoch
    In a 30mm mount with a plastic insert might be a bit better?

Fulla
    I use the last one. Clamp to scope body. And get a scope ring for the torch to join the two together. Quick on and off.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post

Tried that, it's wobbly as all hell particularly with a big torch like a m24. You could line the scope mount with rubber instead of plastic inserts if you are worried. Also it depends on the rifle, my suppressed anti terrorism defense rifle has almost no recoil although there is a fair amount of vibration and rattle when it goes bang.

There is also this option:

$6.99 USD

25.4~30mm Nylon Plastic Gun Mount Clamp Holder for Flashlight / Gun Sight - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Name:  sku_207398_1.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  25.8 KB

It works but I found it kept slipping to the side on my scope and when I used it on my shotty (attached to the mag extension) to kept moving forward under recoil.

I am running these on my weapons at home 30mm Ring Scope Tube Flashlight Laser 20mm Weaver Picatinny Rail Mount Adapter Aluminum Hunting Accessories High Quality-in Scope Mounts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group and yes they are mounted to the scope but man they are solid, and at US$4.07 they are a great price. I too use the quick release mounts that MassiveAttack has shown above, very quick and easy to chop and change between platforms.

Name:  Mount.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  30.4 KB
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

I used to get glare reflecting off the suppressor. Iv had a joiner mate rout a flat on the bottom and added a rail
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442380344.347115.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  181.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442380356.746647.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  193.8 KB

Sent from the swamp
    Pengy and Tommy like this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    I am running these on my weapons at home 30mm Ring Scope Tube Flashlight Laser 20mm Weaver Picatinny Rail Mount Adapter Aluminum Hunting Accessories High Quality-in Scope Mounts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group and yes they are mounted to the scope but man they are solid, and at US$4.07 they are a great price. I too use the quick release mounts that MassiveAttack has shown above, very quick and easy to chop and change between platforms.
    Thanks for posting that, I have just ordered three as they are cheaper than the one I got from DX. I suspect they are a few grams heavier than the DX one as it has a solid rail and the DX one doesn't but as you say it's probably stronger.
    Shooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    I used to get glare reflecting off the suppressor. Iv had a joiner mate rout a flat on the bottom and added a rail
    Attachment 40703Attachment 40704

Sent from the swamp
    That idea looks good but doesn't work on a synthetic stock, or if you're carrying the rifle on a quad bike rack.
    I have the same mounts as Shooter on my 243, 22 and 17HMR, so can swap the torch over easily.

Name:  P1000428.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  406.4 KB