Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Pack repairs or new pack

Pack repairs or new pack

Ok my old faithful Fairydown pack finally blew a strap loaded up once again (!) with a head and boned out stag.
    Name:  389C590C-B6CA-4145-AD8D-AF9A1B46537F.jpeg
Views: 768
Size:  4.81 MB
    Anyone know if this is repairable and by who (south island based).
    Alternatively what do you folks recommend as the best heavy duty (90l plus) durable but not stupidly heavy pack as replacement?
    Macpac vs Osprey vs Tatonka, vs other- which handles abuse and fiordland conditions best?

Take it to a commercial uphoslterer. Like boat, truck, canvss, leather type of business. Be easyfix for those chaps.
    ethos, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

you said old...that doesnt even have external frame!!!!!! love my K2 Hunter pack,which has external frame......sure as shit stands up to the abuse and heavy loads.
    ethos, Pengy and Finnwolf like this.

The legendary K2 is the generation before this, great packs but internal frame a huge plus for Bush bashing.This pack I couldn’t fault in more than 20 yrs of abuse, it has even carted water buffalo bits in Aussie.
    Don’t make em like they used to eh

MSL
    K2 alpine hunter goes good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ethos likes this.

Twin Needle in ChCh provide a very good repair service. And they have spent many years working with packs and all sorts of outdoor gear, and know how to dismantle a pack, and put it back together properly. Your average saddler/upholsterer doesnt have that specific pack experience and in my experience doesnt do as good or as robust a job.
    ethos, Gibo, HNTMAD and 5 others like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ethos View Post
    Ok my old faithful Fairydown pack finally blew a strap loaded up once again (!) with a head and boned out stag.
    Attachment 164623
    Anyone know if this is repairable and by who (south island based).
    Alternatively what do you folks recommend as the best heavy duty (90l plus) durable but not stupidly heavy pack as replacement?
    Macpac vs Osprey vs Tatonka, vs other- which handles abuse and fiordland conditions best?
    A new harness for my Fairydown pack external frame pack was $60 from Twin needle. I think yours would be easily repaired by sewing webbing along the whole back of the arm / shoulder strap to reinforce it. Then sew the height adjust strap onto that. Any good canvas maker could do that work.
    ethos likes this.

Where's the pic of your stag?

Little fiordland bush 9 pointer, not breaking any records
    Name:  60C684EA-A1D3-48C9-854A-715F89329D00.jpeg
Views: 585
Size:  2.84 MB
    Tahr, Gibo and Moa Hunter like this.

Thanks. Lovely condition and it looks like he was recently having fun in a wallow.
    ethos likes this.

Depends on who repairs it. Macpac sent it down to christchurch and they were useless. Clearly wrote and marked everything wrong and it got returned with half ass job. Sent it back for free and it was not fixed then either.
    ethos likes this.

I was in the same boat late last year. My old fairydown was coming apart after hauling out a good load. Thought about getting repaired but wondered how long before something else comes apart and needs repairing again or if it came apart in the hills. Went with a cactus foray in the end and although I haven't put a good load in it yet I'm very happy.
    ethos likes this.

Thanks for the great advice, I’ve rung Twin Needle they said should be easy fix and can post to them from post shop just tape up inside black rubbish bag. About 1 and 1/2 weeks then can post back.email invoice to pay first.
    Will chuck up pic of repair when it comes back
    Tahr and Husky1600 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you said old...that doesnt even have external frame!!!!!! love my K2 Hunter pack,which has external frame......sure as shit stands up to the abuse and heavy loads.
    I’ve still got my old early 70’s Kiwi made external frame pack (Wintest or something).
    Great pack but also great for wearing off the checkering on the pistol grip of your rifle if it’s slung on your shoulder!
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    I’ve still got my old early 70’s Kiwi made external frame pack (Wintest or something).
    Great pack but also great for wearing off the checkering on the pistol grip of your rifle if it’s slung on your shoulder!
    The Trapper Nelsons were a bugger for that.