Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Pants

Pants

Any one recommend a pair of pants. More for the colder months will still carry my over trousers. Not interested in buying online would rather walk in a shop and try on.
    So more then likely be stoney creek, hunter element or the likes.
    Wanting to replace my fleece pants with some thing a little lighter and no so heavy when they get wet.

Yes i do hunt in thermals and shorts before anyone makes that suggestion but at times i prefer to be warmer

Got nothing but good stuff to say about the Stoney creek fast hunt pants. Thin but keep you warm enough, if you need more warmth, leggings on underneath then overtrou over top.
    bigbear and RV1 like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I'm a shorts or shorts + thermals guy, but I must be getting old and soft as I recently bought a pair of Huntech Roar pants. I've only worn them on one hunt, and only a short one as we got a deer on the walk in, but they seemed okay. On sale with 20% off at the moment but the sale ends today.
    RV1 and Jono91 like this.

MB

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Sarvo was flogging some pants that looked good.
    No - be to hot
    Good for Quad sitting etc
    But I am getting some others in that I have been wearing this last month
    Bloody good !!!
    They have a elastic spring system in the belt/waist bands (good for us who are loosing the teenage shape midriff :-)
    Leg cut is prefect design too

MB
    Realised that, so deleted my post, but I was too late! Also, he said he wanted to buy in a store which is fair enough. Clothing can be hard to get right.
    bigbear likes this.

Banned
    Active Intent from the Warehouse $25 pr Black microfibre very light way better by far than shorts and longjohns. Leg has zip bottom and if the zip is left un-zipped the pants hang over the boot tops and keep the rubbish out. Dont snag in scrub blood and mud doesnt stick, and they are fast to move in across a hill
    30late and RV1 like this.

Highly rate the Stoney Creek Microtough trou. I've got 3 or 4 pairs of various weights/ generation's and am a big fan. Only thing I learnt the hard way, was to be careful with them around open flame-singed a set real good while using the angle grinder
    bigbear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Active Intent from the Warehouse $25 pr Black microfibre very light ..
    Tried to get some at the WarrieFurrie this morning but none there. The girl said it was probably because they're in the process of changing seasons, too late obviously

I personally have found it more beneficial to hunt with thermal leggings / shorts / waterproof pants combination. waterproof pants are on over top in the morning and evening during coldest times, then its shorts or shorts & leggings for main part of day.

I have done a lot of hunting in microtough type pants and find the wind cuts right through them, as well as they are no good once wet (even walking through vegetation with a heavy due soaks pants). If you can protect yourself from wind with waterproof pants, then merino leggings is about all you need for warmth in most situations.

my 2c anyway.
    BRADS, Gibo, Steve123 and 3 others like this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Anyone of you 34" waist - 32" leg (that's inner leg)
    I am wearing something I am super impressed with and ready to pull the trigger on an order BUT
    Not sure if you guys or others will go for something unknown (Brand name I mean)

Two fabric weights
    I wearing the summer lightweight now - but with the NATO Thermal under but not needed if you were active
    The mid weight is prob better suited for general hunting all seasons

The big plus on this is the Cut/Design - something I just don't get with stuff out of that other place
    Has a spring/elastic system in the belt which is marvelous design

So - I prepared to give a pair away "providing" it is tried out good and proper and review back on here as quick as possible

Here is the link to the Med weight ones - in 34/32
    Check vid clip of spring waist system at bottom of page and note the Cut around knee/butt via photos etc
    Shorts also a possible import with same design-fabric etc

https://www.nzgrhunts.com/clothing/p...lp-pnspe-45sz3
    Carbine likes this.

I run Montane Terra pant all year round except mid winter

Winter hunts I use the Firstlite Corrugate Foundry pant. Highly recommend both

If you want good pants then forget the hunting brands and go into bivouac outdoors and cheek out the outdoor research pants.

Ive had a pair for a couple of years are find them great much nicer then poxy fleece
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    If you want good pants then forget the hunting brands and go into bivouac outdoors and cheek out the outdoor research pants.

Ive had a pair for a couple of years are find them great much nicer then poxy fleece
    I should bite my lip - but
    Have you looked at mine above
    How on earth can you remotely compare the design and quality to those Bivouac trousers ??

Anyway
    You all saved me wasting more $$ trying to provide something better (well what I have found better out of 55 years trying all

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    I should bite my lip - but
    Have you looked at mine above
    How on earth can you remotely compare the design and quality to those Bivouac trousers ??

Anyway
    You all saved me wasting more $$ trying to provide something better (well what I have found better out of 55 years trying all
    No didnt see your post just replied to the op who wants to walk into a shop and buy pants, the outdoor research are a far better pant then the like of the main hunting brands found here in nz.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"