Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dundee
  • 1 Post By gadgetman

Thread: Petzl headlamp

Petzl headlamp

With calving fast approaching over here (read I have had 2 already 3 weeks early). I need a decent headlamp.

Criteria are:
    - Minimal modes (ie high and low and not much more)
    - Rechargeable
    - enough throw to spot cows and read tags. Perhaps 80m to spot the cow and read the tag from 10-20m.
    - light enough to wear when tubing calves and won't flop around
    - able to be worn over a beanie

I had an LED lenser and it kept crapping out and I can't find it... The front but was flimsy and wires came loose. Didn't really like the battery pack at the back

Thought maybe the Tikka from petzl with the core rechargeable thingy??

Anything else I should look at?

I wouldn't risk taking a rechargeable head lamp out on the farm over calving. When they decide to go flat you don't have much time...lights out real quick.
    .22-250 everything likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Bother-in-law got 2.5 years out of these on the dairy farm, think they are milking about 700.

Cheap Flood-to-Throw 3-Mode Cree Q3 LED Headlamp (1*18650)

Team up with these batteries

TrustFire Protected 18650 3.7V Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

And one of these chargers.

Buy TrustFire All-in-One Charger (for 10430/10440/14500/16340 /17670/18650/CR123A)

Bought half a dozen so all the staff can have them.

Recently upgraded to these. They were a loaner, but they've taken a liking to them.

S100 LED 700lm 3-Mode White Headlight - Black + Purple (2 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

If you are worried about getting smashed buy a spare, they are cheap enough.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I use the Energiser hardcase at work, its been totally reliable and dims as the battery dies.

I cannot stress enough that people dont buy those cheap cree ones off trademe. Walking down a steep track at night and it just shut out, since I was just on a walk up the bush from my parents place I had nothing else on me, had to feel from tree to tree lucky I had my spiked foresty boots on or I would have been stuffed.

Munsey likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

So before i push buy now are these the ducks nuts?
    I like the price and the rechargeable system as i already have a lenser rechargeable and don’t have to buy bloody batteries any more!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    So before i push buy now are these the ducks nuts?
    I like the price and the rechargeable system as i already have a lenser rechargeable and don’t have to buy bloody batteries any more!
    It is by no means the best quality but none have failed as yet and they have a pretty good beam. I like the waterproof switch on the side where it is easy to get to. Buy two so you have a spare and spare set of batteries, the combined price is still very good value.

Something I don't like is the battery pack at the back with the wires around the side. However, I already use 18650s in other devices so perhaps this is a good option afterall. I will troll through DX I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    I wouldn't risk taking a rechargeable head lamp out on the farm over calving. When they decide to go flat you don't have much time...lights out real quick.
    I hear you Dundee, I keep a cheap walmart handheld or my Tiablo A9 in the pocket of my snow bibs. But they aren't quite as handy as a good headlamp

The 18650 rechargeable headlamps don't die suddenly with low voltage, they just slowly get dimmer.

I have a Petzl Nao, damn good light, rechargeable batt but can run AA in a pinch as well, so has your base covered, It's reactive if you look far away it throws out the light, but look at something close then it dims, or you can have it on a constant output light, if you want to get fussy you can also program it...