Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: PLB - Recomendations

PLB - Recomendations

Hi All after a new PLB, small, lite weight and water proof. Will be used for Hunting, kayak fishing, trout fishing adventures.

Any recommendations or are they all much of the same these days?

Humping and fisting have them for around the $450 to $550 mark. Happy to order online if anyone can recommend a store.

cheers FBD

i went with this https://skippersmate.co.nz/acr-resql...or-beacon-plb/

its the one piece of kit i hope i never need to use
    CooeeBay likes this.
    Good, Fast, Cheap....choose any 2.

Gone but not forgotten
    Whatever one you choose, check out Smart Marine's website, they are sometimes cheaper than others.

One with an infrared strobe is a worthy feature.
    LBD likes this.

@Fat belly Dog

+ 1 for skippers mate.

We have two in our family, I have one and my pa has one too. Haven't (thankfully) had to use either of them but its a nice compact unit and easy to set up

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    CooeeBay likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Pretty sure hes a forum member too.... @CooeeBay
    Last edited by kukuwai; 13-01-2022 at 06:51 PM.
    erniec and CooeeBay like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I bought one from seller cooebay on Trademe, he is based in Australia. Good price, my tiny unit seems OK. NB the link below is to a different unit than the one I bought off him.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...7?bof=pyymx61U

Next one I buy I'd at least consider the one with the TXT / weather report facility, sounds VERY practical, particularly the weather bit (should help you avoid having to activate the PLB?)
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Garmin In Reach +??
    Has the emergency function, but also doubles as a spare GPS, you can get 3 day weather reports (accurate too) and you can send and recieve txt's and EMS so if there's not an emergency but simply a delay or situation, you can send that instead of having everybody city side panicking.
    Yes but the new garmin units with built in Inreach are far superior to the old red Inreaches as the new ones actually use garmin maps and those old red ones are stuck with Delorne maps

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Garmin In Reach +??
    Has the emergency function, but also doubles as a spare GPS, you can get 3 day weather reports (accurate too) and you can send and recieve txt's and EMS so if there's not an emergency but simply a delay or situation, you can send that instead of having everybody city side panicking.
    I recently had to call for help and used the Garmin in reach texting function to a third party who called the cavalry... my position was exactly known... beside bridge X on river Y... nothing vague.
    However after the even I learned that the Garmin SOS feature does not exactly pinpoint your position to searchers, it only provides a general location (I am not sure of the size of the general area)
    The rescue crew said they prefer an EPIRB call for help more than a Garmin which I have learnt is because the EPIRB also has a homing signal which can put rescuers on your exact location.
    So in a worst case scenario, I would be going with a EPIRB that I can trigger then forget.
    In a less than worst case, A Garmin lets you chat and formulate a plan and the ability to guide rescuers... Next time I would maybe have both or if I could only have one it would be an EPIRB first.
    Pengy, CooeeBay and Steelisreal like this.

Forget those ACR beacons - 5 yr battery life - one of the shorter lifed beacons around for a high price and will need replacing before you know it. . I use the KTI, 20 yr battery - guaranteed for 10 yrs. Though KTI have stopped supplying due to shipping/parts. Anything less than others that are 7 yrs battery life i think could do better with the battery technology out there.

You want to buy cheap... nah I want something that works when I need it to work.

https://radiocoms.nz/shop/personal-l...BoC3ysQAvD_BwE

Mine has been used twice [not one me]. I know it works

The KTi is a 10 year battery - not 20. The unit itself was rated at 20 years. That allowed a battery replacement after the first set expired. KTi (family business) back in Feb 2021 closed after 30+ years of manufacturing beacons.

Ocean Signal has a 7+ year battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    Forget those ACR beacons - 5 yr battery life - one of the shorter lifed beacons around for a high price and will need replacing before you know it. . I use the KTI, 20 yr battery - guaranteed for 10 yrs. Though KTI have stopped supplying due to shipping/parts. Anything less than others that are 7 yrs battery life i think could do better with the battery technology out there.
    rugerman likes this.

I bit concerning that the unit has been used. All beacons should have a minimum of 24 hours transmission time available throughout the battery rated life.
    Beacon prices are not an issue as there is no such thing as a "cheap" (by design or specification) quality. All brands of beacons have to meet some very strict AU/NZ standards as well as gain international approvals from CosPas-SarSat

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    You want to buy cheap... nah I want something that works when I need it to work.

https://radiocoms.nz/shop/personal-l...BoC3ysQAvD_BwE

Mine has been used twice [not one me]. I know it works
    rugerman and Cordite like this.

PM me if I can help: https://skippersmate.co.nz/distress-beacons/

QUOTE=Fat belly Dog;1269380]Hi All after a new PLB, small, lite weight and water proof. Will be used for Hunting, kayak fishing, trout fishing adventures.

Any recommendations or are they all much of the same these days?

Humping and fisting have them for around the $450 to $550 mark. Happy to order online if anyone can recommend a store.

cheers FBD[/QUOTE]
    kukuwai likes this.

@CooeeBay Good to see you still around & hope all is going OK over there had our Garmin inReach Explorer save us from a bad few days last year ,when we are hunting in the Alps down here ,l get the missus to update weather reports etc from various sources & keep us updated & l notify of any position changes from our end ,we had a isolated gale front coming at us, she updated us on & got in touch with the Heli mob who had not picked it up yet ,they actually headed in & got another campo out first as they were not as well prepared & we got out at the last minute with a hairy trip out .

Are there any advances /new & improved models in the Inreach/spot etc type units or any you recommend over others ?

Also did you see the interview on YT with the Bloke who got stuck in the camper van in the Simpson Desert ,l will chase it up for you if you want , it would interest you in particular. Still take the PLB from the group- buy out on every trip
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan