Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

restoreing my great grandads kero fuel'ed stove need suggestions on the correct seals

my grandma gave us my great granddads old kero stove which I plan to use as we shoot black powder and try to camp without mod cons such as lpg
    I was planning to use the old (at least 80 years if not a lot more) stove as a back up as can cook under our fly if the weather packs in
    I checked it all out and its in very good nick so I fuelled it yo with a clean burning alternative to kero suggested for kero burning stoves
    poured a small amount of meths in the heating tray (you have to pre heat the jet) I let the jet heat tightened the pressure release valve and gave her a pump..as per starting instructions found on the web

problem Huston no pressure building.... so I checked the seals on the pump and pressure release valve the valve was fine but the pump seals were non existent sorted
    so I replaced the seals with seals made from gaskit paper and repeated the starting procedure......

AND she was away!!!!!! runs mint like mint
    ive been starting it a couple of times a day for the last couple of days just to make sure everything is holding up but now I'm having issues with the pump seals again....

so my question is what can I use for seals? it gets quite hot not hot enough to burn you but getting up there so that needs to be considered I was thinking rubber but not sure if it ill handle a little heat as I said not real hot but needs to be considered

Viton o rings. Try nearest engineering supply store.

Name:  IMG_0233.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  471.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

bloody iPhone always upload photos sideways

The original would have been a greased leather cup washer, I have made replacement ones for a primus from old boot leather tongues cut oversize greased and folded into the pump barrel last a few years of use.

@Marty Henry awesome meakes perfect sense the remains of the old ones did look like leather actually @hgd any chance of an off cut mate? Ill fick you a message on facebook tomorrow

Although they are a bit more modern, I stood on my Coleman Apex Peak ll stove a year or two back and wrecked it, they are such an awesome stove I really wanted to repair it and ended up getting onto some bloke in the UK that was an absolute wealth of knowledge on all things stoves and he actually had a brand new complete setup that I bought from him, he was awesome to deal with and I dare say that if you have trouble finding what you are after then he could sort you out as old stoves were his thing. PM if you need his details and I will track them down for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    @Marty Henry awesome meakes perfect sense the remains of the old ones did look like leather actually @hgd any chance of an off cut mate? Ill fick you a message on facebook tomorrow
    What thickness leather do you want? I've got a bag full of off cuts, and more than happy to help out a fellow BP shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by peril 787b View Post
    What thickness leather do you want? I've got a bag full of off cuts, and more than happy to help out a fellow BP shooter.
    @peril 787b cheers for the offer mate unsure on thickness though currently about 3 or 4mm of gasket paper 3 layers which worked well for a bit but maybe a couple of different thickness pieces so I can have a play to see what it likes I'm guessing 3-5mm somewhere round there for best results I'm in a bit of a rush to go somewhere right now but ill pm you later today thanks mate