Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Salt ice

MB

Salt ice

I need to keep salt ice going for a few days at a DOC hut. Better to keep it in the bags in the chilly bin until needed or empty it out the bags before setting off?

I've had mixed results but all tests indicate it doesn't matter if the bag is on or not, some may argue the bag is an extra layer of insulation. I have found it negligible.

The real ice keeper is a good bin with good seals and no going in or out, if you want to use it for drinks etc then open it once, get what you need and close it. Its the in and out that kills it.

So I would take an extra bin for drinks etc and only enter the ice bin when needed.
    veitnamcam, Shearer and MB like this.

MB
    Thanks Gibo. It's just for fish. Icey-Tek should do the job.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I need to keep salt ice going for a few days at a DOC hut. Better to keep it in the bags in the chilly bin until needed or empty it out the bags before setting off?
    While I cannot answer that specifically, I do know if you can keep it 'dry' it will last longer. An old trick we used with bottles was to open the lid and leave them so they drained as they thawed. And water thaw would drip out the bottom.

If you want to try it try this Freeze to blocks of ice in plastic mugs Put one on the drip tray rack over the sink and leave the other in the cup. You should find that the one on the rack will still be a smaller chunk of ice well after the other has thawed into water in the cup. Younger brother used to get a week or more on stewart island with big blocks of ice that were drained....
    Gibo and MB like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    While I cannot answer that specifically, I do know if you can keep it 'dry' it will last longer. An old trick we used with bottles was to open the lid and leave them so they drained as they thawed. And water thaw would drip out the bottom.

If you want to try it try this Freeze to blocks of ice in plastic mugs Put one on the drip tray rack over the sink and leave the other in the cup. You should find that the one on the rack will still be a smaller chunk of ice well after the other has thawed into water in the cup. Younger brother used to get a week or more on stewart island with big blocks of ice that were drained....
    Chilly bin has drainage plugs, so nothing to lose by tipping off the snow melt. Thanks.

Freeze the chilly bin by putting in a freezer/cold room before you put the salt ice in too, a lot of melt happens by getting a warm chilly bin down to the ice temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

And for goodness sake keep it in the shade (or even better a creek) am amazed at how many folks forget the sun moves therefore shadows move during the day.....
    MB and Russian 22. like this.

I use plastic water bottles filled with salt water then freeze. Get a good 5 days out of them in my icy tech
    rugerman, Gibo and 2post like this.

MB
    I have a big chilly bin, but an even bigger freezer, so that sounds like a plan

Doc hut eh??? North of you?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

MB
    There's a few in the north. Don't get too excited, it's not a hunting trip, it's a family trip plus a bit of fishing to keep the troops fed.

Gibo, Shearer and kukuwai like this.

I’d be putting salt water into coke bottles and freezing them they last for days and nothing gets wet.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    There's a few in the north. Don't get too excited, it's not a hunting trip, it's a family trip plus a bit of fishing to keep the troops fed.

Good ski parking?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

MB
    Funny you should say that

Gibo, Shearer and Billbob like this.

if you go to local fish n chip shop...or the market,grab a couple of the polybins...they get used once then chucked.....1/4 fill it with water and put in freezer....if you leave it shut it will last 4-5 days as will be a big solid block...I put my beerzies in one like this...and had to wait 3 days for them to thaw out LOL...ICY bits in beerzies isnt a lot of fun.
    timattalon and MB like this.