Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Scope mounting your Maxtoch torch

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Just had email chat with Amanda and Maxtoch are sourcing and will stock these items - the little picatinny rails and quick release tall rings for them, and also the plastic 8 mount:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/30mm-...9-94bbaaf377c2

30mm Flashlight Laser Sight Mount Holders for 21mm Rail Gun (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mount...b-308442ff0bc6

No doubt they'll put their seller/freight margin on them, but may still be a quick way for guys to set up.
    Why don't you talk to them about doing packages up with all the necessary crap in one box?

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Just had email chat with Amanda and Maxtoch are sourcing and will stock these items - the little picatinny rails and quick release tall rings for them, and also the plastic 8 mount:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/30mm-...9-94bbaaf377c2

30mm Flashlight Laser Sight Mount Holders for 21mm Rail Gun (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mount...b-308442ff0bc6

No doubt they'll put their seller/freight margin on them, but may still be a quick way for guys to set up.
    Why don't you talk to them about doing packages up with all the necessary crap in one box?

Alot of guys already have it - the set up items for mounting will be an option like batts and charger etc..

Here's what I dolled up last night to deal to a possum in the neighbour's paddock.

Blinded him with the 2X first then a sub through the swede at about 60yds. I can safely say I had enough "available light definition"
    That camming clamp mount holds the M24 well on the scope's obj housing and is very quick to remove and refit to other housing sizes. Total overkill for a rimfire but as they say, If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing.

Ejected
    I would be a bit hesitant to mount a torch to the bell if a score as it's not the strongest bit of a scope body. When the rings normal mount is the strongest place.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Ejected
    Mounting to the bell also means having the scope mounted far higher than it should be.

Umm, the scope is at whatever height it is. How does mounting a torch on it affect the scope height??

As I said, it's a rimfire, not a big banger, and it's plenty strong enough to put a torch on. The clamping bit of this torch mount is a good 30mm wide and doesn't fit on the 1" tube between the rings/turret housing or else I would have clamped it there. That same clamp will happily go on the ocular housing of the scope on the PCP in the background if I use a compact torch.

Ejected
    Cause you can't put the lowest possible mounts on as yopu have to leave room for the light mount.

Ejected
    One of these would fit in front of the front ring:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/30mm...286218074.html

It's not the recoil you need to worry about. It's dropping the rifle or something banging against the torch which then acts as a leaver and bends the weakest part of the whole setup which is generally the scope. The old Lightforce scope mounts has a bit of plastic in the middle of the mount so that broke instead of the scope.

I mount mine to my AR using a offset rail attached to the receiver for this reason.

The camlock clamp I use doesn't need any height allowance, hence my comment. You can clamp down to an inch or up to a good 45mm. Std height rings are fine.

I think wirehunts comment was around the ability to use a mount on the objective bell of the scope, requiring a higher ring. You could not mount that camlock mount on your centrefires scope for example, as there was insufficient clearance between the scope bell and the barrel. (and the fact it has an AO, and too big a diameter)
    Wirehunt likes this.

The only issue Quentin is the diameter (about 48mm max) as the clamp "fingers" don't reach under the tube to any extent, and not at all if using a bigger diameter clamping point

Here's the M24 on the front of a 2.5-8x36 VX-III

and then on the tube

Still well clear of the receiver with std rings.
    The ring that holds the torch is lined with softish rubber and one finger of the clamp is hard-rubber lined so if the torch gets a crunch, the scope shouldn't be damaged.

I see. Not obvious in the other pictures.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    I see. Not obvious in the other pictures.
    +1

Found one company on aliexpress that has the little picatinny scope rail plus quick release tall mount for very few $$:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gro...506282635.html

12g boresnake there for $3.43 too - very useful after a hunting trip.