Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hotsoup
  • 1 Post By Rees
  • 1 Post By Martin358
  • 1 Post By hotsoup

Thread: Self-inflating mattresses - whats the best?

SiB

Self-inflating mattresses - whats the best?

I’ve recently purchased an OZ-Trail stretcher, with the intention of putting a self-inflating mattress over it.

I’m 6’3” , 115kg, and old enough (63) to appreciate a good nights comfortable sleep when in a hut/camping.

Mainly vehicle-based camping, so the focus is on comfort, and reducing the bulk of my previous bulky foam mattress/bedroll. Not too worried about an extra few 100g if I backpack w the air mattress only.

I’m aware there’s serious $ thermarest, and cheaper versions. I’d rather ‘buy once - cry once’.

I do occasionally camp in winter conditions so the thermal fill is a priority too

What’s the experience of forum members?

Your input invited!

I use a 30+ year old themarest and a Exped sim on our camp stretchers (car camping)and have the 40mm or so foam mattress's that camp with the stretchers on top.
    Very comfortable and warm.

Exped Duo, my wife is very happy on this when on hunting trips. Does wonders
    Kimber 7mm-08 likes this.

For camping for more than the odd day or two I go with erniec's mix of an old thermarest under a decent quality foam mattress sitting on top of a quality camp stretcher. About same age and size as you. Can't beat a good nights sleep.

SiB
    It’s been suggested to me that a Sea to Summit Thermo Lite will be more comfy than a Thermarest X-therm as I’m a side-sleeper with arthritic shoulders - but the thermarest wins hands-down on warmth

Comments on the Sea to Summit gear??

from forum heads ups here, i went with exped 9 , great for a comfy sleep and winter... i wore out the edges a bit an it leaks, i have to pull it apart an re glue the seems, in the mean time i downgraded to a klymit static v , poor R rating for colder months, but there is an insulated version for lighter an smaller than exped spec.
    Kimber 7mm-08 likes this.

wife
    Hunteast likes this.

No valve to blow up - usually the other way around......

For clarity. We use this, its a 2 person self inflating mattress that we take on vehicle based hunting, heli and camping trips. You can also get solo ones of the exact same model. Highly recommend. Check out the reviews

Wife

Exped MegaMat Duo 10
    Name:  exped-megamat-duo-10-ruby-red-0_1_2.png
Views: 599
Size:  129.5 KB
    Low box likes this.

if ya sus out Ebay, there is cheap Klymit insulated models from time to time direct from "Klymit" themselves, sort of factory seconds refurbished, the killer for me was the wait and postage/shipping, but ymmv... and often in US dollars.. im still thinking of doin this for the insulated model for Ron.

I’ve either got or had most makes. The best nights sleep I’ve ever had in the bush is in my Klymit inflatable mattress. I’ve got an insulated one. I put a Kathmandu Basecamp one ontop of my stretcher, because it’s bigger and matches the size of the stretcher better.