Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Sentry 14 gun E-cat fireproof safe

Sentry 14 gun E-cat fireproof safe

Would anyone have a copy of the original cert for one one these . Shifted town and the new arms officer is refusing it without a cert . Cheers
    Those that can do - Those that can't bitch about those that can

]
    Quote Originally Posted by Looseunit View Post
    Would anyone have a copy of the original cert for one one these . Shifted town and the new arms officer is refusing it without a cert . Cheers
    If its the same safe as you had before and the security passed inspection then hes a Twat as long as its installed correctly,
    But then AOs are prone to interpreting the Firearms Act as it suits them personally and not actually what the rules say is the case.
    I have tried to attach it incase anyone else needs it but in case it don't work, Check your PMs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mikee; 18-08-2015 at 08:00 PM.
    Maca49 and Beaker like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Just had my licence renewed tonight, the local AO puts out his own requirements that are not part of the code WTF, didn't know they could pass laws? awesome guy did the check here tonight, worse part was my wife finding out how many firearms are in my safe
    gadgetman, mikee, grunzter and 2 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    .................................................. .....worse part was my wife finding out how many firearms are in my safe
    Ba ha ha ha ha ha ............. I used to get around this by having all my rifles looking identical. (had 5 AR's) so as long as my better half never actually saw the inside of the safe all was good. Now after a bit of a change around its not so easy.

And I also have Certs for the two bigger models of Sentry safe somewhere, I thin 24 and 36 gun models
    Maca49 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

He even went to say he wouldn't pass my inspection because I had a 4" grinder in the garage . Made me lock it in the safe .
    Those that can do - Those that can't bitch about those that can

sounds like a complete tool

You need to keep a copy of the regs on you and ask him what paragraph he's referring too!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

My safe for just A cat is an old Rolex cabinet from the IRD, 900 wide with the roller door on it, bolted to the wall. I have a full set of tools in my garage, nothing said except " that's fine"
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Looseunit View Post
    He even went to say he wouldn't pass my inspection because I had a 4" grinder in the garage . Made me lock it in the safe .
    To be fair that does make sense, at least hide the grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    sounds like a complete tool
    Yup, a 4 inch grinder is a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    You need to keep a copy of the regs on you and ask him what paragraph he's referring too!
    Possibly a paragraph of the 'Common Sense Act 2015'

The laws the law and I operate within it. I cannot go off on whims of the local AO? Do you change the law using common sense as you go? You can recommend I suppose, I might start applying it to my line of work as well? Best thing was the calibre and knowledge of the guy doing the renewal, excellently!
    mikee and Tommy like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Absolutely I use common sense when applying the law in a lot of circumstances. It's called officer discretion and you'd hate police even more if they didn't have any.

The AO could fall back on the 'fit and proper' part of the act, but I think that would be more appropriate if it was a 225mm grinder or oxy/acet set sitting beside the safe.

Not saying he is right, just using a bit of common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Absolutely I use common sense when applying the law in a lot of circumstances. It's called officer discretion and you'd hate police even more if they didn't have any.

The AO could fall back on the 'fit and proper' part of the act, but I think that would be more appropriate if it was a 225mm grinder or oxy/acet set sitting beside the safe.

Yes but "officer discretion" is one thing, making up "interpretations" of the law as written or "back dating" things to suit the now current "interpretation" are not the Polices job. (both things seem to happen regularly with the arms act especially. Thumbhle stock fiasco anyone

The law is the law.
    I am totally sure being a Police person is a thankless and difficult task but discretion and interpretation are 2 different things.

My safe has the certification required and is installed in the prescribed manner according to the "manual" that is all that required according to the rules and was inspected and continues to be inspected regularly even though nothing about the installation has changed. They don't say you must lock up your grinder etc. I think they must be resistant to attack by hand tools

Checking endorsed firearms held against license i could understand but checking to see the safe hasn't moved?? ,

We are lucky in that our area has always had great AO's but I know some areas are not so lucky
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post

Sorry your reading me wrong, I don't hate cops, not at all, I don't class AOs as cops, as I didn't class transport officers as cops.talking of gas axes
    I know of a guy, now deceased, who had his walk in safe buglared using his gas axe that was beside the safe in his shed, the police thought that was a bit dumb, he rebuilt the safe and left the gas axe where it was, he stored his black powder in a small lockable cupboard, right behind the lock. Burglars were lucky they never did it again?
    Savage1 and Tommy like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough