Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Should I buy a Swanndri?

Should I buy a Swanndri?

G'day,
    I saw a Swanndri for sale here and since looked into them.
    I can get a Ranger shirt for $180 in Australia.

I wonder if the green black works as break up like Camo? A little maybe?
    Can be worn on the street where I would not wear Camo travelling etc.

Does the midweight type Ranger shirt offer warmth and stay dry?

Never had a hoodie and probably don't need a heavyweight so much in Australia but I wanna visit NZ too.

How big are ya?...got 2 here, not new...blue black 5XOS with hood...green size 48, I measured it for someone on here and think from memory it is 1.8 metres cuff to cuff, no hood...the weight of them don't matter when you get to this size.
    CBH Australia likes this.

now made in china, as son as it wasnt kiwi made the qualiy dropped but the mrs got one of the first chinese ones and its ok.
    the latest ones are so flimsy the mossies can bite you thru it
    Steve123 and CBH Australia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    How big are ya?...got 2 here, not new...blue black 5XOS with hood...green size 48, I measured it for someone on here and think from memory it is 1.8 metres cuff to cuff, no hood...the weight of them don't matter when you get to this size.
    hi there, have you got a pic of the blue/black?

This is my most favorite swanny type of coat, mate bought it for me off MoW stores about 30 years ago, rat chewed, moth eaten rag it is but I wouldn't go on a fly in bush trip without it, usually around camp wear but shot plenty of deer wearing it.

Name:  IMG_3597.JPG
Views: 411
Size:  526.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Vod Ka'nockers View Post
    Got a few holes down the front probably from hogging a camp fire...but then if you fit a 5XOS you can hog a camp fire anytime you like.

Name:  IMG_3598.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  622.9 KB

lol... love the blue/black.... a true trad swanni...

Quote Originally Posted by Vod Ka'nockers View Post
    @DavidGunn
    If Vod Ka'knockers is interested give him first pick. If he's that big I'm not arguing.
    I could probably go a medium , maybe a large till I trim up.

Not sure now they say quality dropped.
    @7mmwsm says but one he grows wool. Good answer but I've never seriously considered any wsm so we have different ideas.

I do like the idea I can wear it casual, working or as a bush shirt. I will only don the Camo when I'm on a hunt.

Just I'm hoping to hunt two cooler areas around Easter and these might be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by CBH Australia View Post
    @DavidGunn
    If Vod Ka'knockers is interested give him first pick. If he's that big I'm not arguing.
    I could probably go a medium , maybe a large till I trim up.

Not sure now they say quality dropped.
    @7mmwsm says but one he grows wool. Good answer but I've never seriously considered any wsm so we have different ideas.

I do like the idea I can wear it casual, working or as a bush shirt. I will only don the Camo when I'm on a hunt.

Just I'm hoping to hunt two cooler areas around Easter and these might be ok.
    Camo only fools humans, not deer.
    CBH Australia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    now made in china, as son as it wasnt kiwi made the qualiy dropped but the mrs got one of the first chinese ones and its ok.
    the latest ones are so flimsy the mossies can bite you thru it
    When Swanndri moved manufacture to China there was a huge amount of negative press. IIRC they tried to counter that by saying the fabric would continue to be made and supplied from NZ so quality would be maintained. I wonder if that's still the case?
    caberslash and CBH Australia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    The blue black one David Gunn is showing is showing is a Lace front bush shirt. Probably retail over three hundred dollars. An outer garment, semi water proof but gets very heavy when wet. They do come with the option of a full length zip now.
    The one you suggest you can get for one eighty dollars is most likely a Ranger shirt. More of a mid layer garment which can be tucked in to your trousers. Light shower proof but you will get wet in rain. And won't be warm enough as an external layer in frost type conditions.
    Yes, it's a Ranger shirt. $180, that's where I'm torn with going the whole hog heavyweight.
    there is a Swanndri AU site with the whole range.

Also I'm not sure if the lace up neck has been changed to zipper neck. Would prefer laceup.

Yes buy one. But I grow wool as part of my income so may be a bit bias.
    Fleece is probably hardier, but wool doesn't stink and grow fungus like fleece.
    I have fleece gear, but only buy it if it is discount rediculously.
    Wool doesn't melt like fleece either.
    I agree. Wool is king.
    Except when it gets heavy...
    Use enough gun

The blue black one David Gunn is showing is showing is a Lace front bush shirt. Probably retail over three hundred dollars. An outer garment, semi water proof but gets very heavy when wet. They do come with the option of a full length zip now.
    The one you suggest you can get for one eighty dollars is most likely a Ranger shirt. More of a mid layer garment which can be tucked in to your trousers. Light shower proof but you will get wet in rain. And won't be warm enough as an external layer in frost type conditions.
    The full length zip is a 'mosgiel'
    i have one and it is like a bath robe to me. wear it everywhere.
    Use enough gun

Banned
    The old felted type swanny is the ultimate 'in close, scrub bush and fern' item. Was standard hunting garb here - black footy shorts, cut down swanny and lace up gumboots
    norsk and caberslash like this.