Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Single pole pyramid style tents

Single pole pyramid style tents

I'm thinking about a new tent/fly setup and like the looks of the single pole pyramid style tents.

I usually hunt with a fly but now I have the dog with me I struggle to keep him warm. If he's cold he's restless which is pretty annoying so thinking something thats mostly enclosed to keep the draft out will help as well as will stop him getting up during the night.

The single pole tents look good as they are in-closed and when used just with the fly have enough room, light weight (1kg) but also have the inner for colder without dog missions.

Looking at the kuiu summit star 1P. Looks perfect but expensive. Out of stock till may but no rush.

Intent outdoors Indie 1, cheap but doesn't have a full ground sheet and going by pictures the fly doesn't come close the ground. Can probably pitch it different?

Anyway anybody using this style of tent, pros & cons? Other brands I should look at?

Cheers

NZ hunter are using the msr one on there show this season

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    NZ hunter are using the msr one on there show this season
    Yes but that will be because that is what the sponsers provide.....not saying it's not any good, but I would be asking for a non biased opinion from those with no vested interest in promoting.
    Surely must be a few on here using these type of tents....not doubt will they will chime in.
    I wonder how they would hold up in strony wind ? (Genuine question)
    #DANNYCENT

Used to use a mate's Black diamond one years ago mountaineering throughout the southern alps. Recommended! Think the model was Mega-mid, highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Have a look at what is used as a std field tent in Antarctica.... well pitched pyramid tent is pretty bomber!
    dannyb likes this.

Hi, had the naturehike 1 person but would prefer more floor space, still using normal fly and insect mesh when needed from that one, the naturehike silnylon got torn right at the top from maybe pitching too tight when wet and then shringking when dry. MSR has more space and other brands also look good. Love the stability and weight.

I used to use a canvas one years ago for car camping. It was too heavy for hunting use but otherwise a great tent. About the fastest to set up I have used and quite wind resistant.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Yes but that will be because that is what the sponsers provide.....not saying it's not any good, but I would be asking for a non biased opinion from those with no vested interest in promoting.
    Surely must be a few on here using these type of tents....not doubt will they will chime in.
    Yes true it will be what's supplied but they do go into some challenging terrain and conditions
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Yes true it will be what's supplied but they do go into some challenging terrain and conditions
    Yeah I meant no disrespect, the Duleys and co are bloody incredible just pointing out that there is a definite commercial angle on all the gear they use on screen....you only hear them talk about the sponsors gear. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff they use that doesn't get air time because of sponsors agreements etc, just like ol J E wilds used to plug almost exclusively bushbuck gear but now he's sponsered by H & F he plugs their gear....again no hate or disrespect just saying it's not always plugged cause it's the best.
    I for one am very grateful for the content guys like the Duleys and the J E Wilds of this world provide and the positive light they show us hunters in.
    #DANNYCENT

I saw a single pole/single point tent done with a 3mtrx3mtr??3mtrx4mtr???? tarp and are buggered if can find the good video link that shows how it was done...have tried google search but went around in circles.... the single sheet does floor/walls and roof,the trick is only one side ,the first that gets pinned to deck then only part of next side pinnned and the rest fold up n over to form roof and back/side wall...sort of a pointed long wedge...the last bit of long side drops over to form door...it was plurry cleverly done and a basic tarp weighs stuff all.

@Micky Duck
    This set up? Dude is a bit droll but it shows the set up. Lay tarp on the ground with the outside down.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRBtof2pAqI
    Works well with a 3x3, A bit limited on space but seals up well. Having used this set up I don't think it would hold up to snow as it has a long unsupported roofline.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    I'm thinking about a new tent/fly setup and like the looks of the single pole pyramid style tents.

I usually hunt with a fly but now I have the dog with me I struggle to keep him warm. If he's cold he's restless which is pretty annoying so thinking something thats mostly enclosed to keep the draft out will help as well as will stop him getting up during the night.

The single pole tents look good as they are in-closed and when used just with the fly have enough room, light weight (1kg) but also have the inner for colder without dog missions.

Looking at the kuiu summit star 1P. Looks perfect but expensive. Out of stock till may but no rush.

Intent outdoors Indie 1, cheap but doesn't have a full ground sheet and going by pictures the fly doesn't come close the ground. Can probably pitch it different?

Anyway anybody using this style of tent, pros & cons? Other brands I should look at?

Cheers
    Myself and a few mates use the summit stars,awsome little shelters.You won’t regret getting one.
    Name:  5FAC107B-FA29-49FF-AD7D-242205DF6B76.jpeg
Views: 539
Size:  612.7 KB
    Tahr, thejamesjames and RV1 like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCe44kFwz3o

cheers ROKTOY.....this fella does is much quicker with less of the droll....... dead easy.......
    RV1 likes this.

Light and good value. Use 2 poles through.
    I don't have their tent but have had a couple of their packs which are excellent.

https://www.gossamergear.com/collect...-sleeping-pads
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Shut up, get out & start pushing!