Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shelley

Thread: Sleeping in the bush North and South

Sleeping in the bush North and South

Hi all as I have said on more than one occasion we are moving to NZ March 1st. I am thinking what is cheaper here than there, and was looking at sleeping bags, mat, stoves, and either a tent or a fly, if you were kitting yourself out what would you get for hunting/ hiking, limited funds

Im using the same sleeping bag Ive had for the last 15 years, I need to upgrade but its warm enough and does the job. Huntech fly cover, foam mat that has reflective foil on one side. I bush camp pretty rough so may not be the best for advice. I like sleeping directly on the ground I find it warmer. Small gas stove which I use in Summer when its not safe for open fires.
    You dont need to spend a ton of money, just what suits your style and comfort. Some people use Tents, Hennessy Hammocks or fly covers, I always go for the lightest option which is my Huntech fly, has never let me down.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Taff, you can always buy second hand (Trademe.co.nz) or wait for sales at our outdoor suppliers (theres shitloads) bring what you have and then see how it works out here, can easily upgrade mate.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Prepare for the worst.
    As far as sleeping bags go, you can always open it to cool down but not so easy to warm up in the cold with a low rating/quality bag

Have a look at Outdoor Clothing & Equipment Store | Macpac
    or
    Premium Outdoor Clothing and Equipment - Bivouac Outdoor - Bivouac Online Store
    to give you an idea on prices for quality gear.

For a lot of camping gimmicks try Outdoor Clothing - Camping & Travel Gear - Kathmandu

Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me is an auction site for 2nd hand everything

A local for hunting equipment will depend on where you settle

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Hi all as I have said on more than one occasion we are moving to NZ March 1st. I am thinking what is cheaper here than there, and was looking at sleeping bags, mat, stoves, and either a tent or a fly, if you were kitting yourself out what would you get for hunting/ hiking, limited funds
    I wouldn't bother bringing any of that stuff with you. It is all available here and suited to the local requirements. The South needs warmer bags than the North, especially if you are the high country. There is a good selection of huts throughout most of the good hunting areas. I just use a very lightweight nylon tent, or sometimes just a nylon fly, a closed-cell foam sleeping pad and a good bag. The weather in the high country can change very quickly at any time of the year so it pays to have a bag that will be useable at -10C at least (you can always unzip it in warmer weather). The range of outdoor gear available here is not only very comprehensive but also reasonably well-priced compared to what I have seen in the UK.

Get a decent knife and a damn good pair of boots because you will pay through the nose over here for both, for the rest get local.
    Tommy likes this.

South Island insects mean you'll need a tent, North Island away from swampy areas you can sleep under a fly in the bush

A lot of guys here try stuff out in stores then order it straight from China

Thanks guys, I have a lot of high end knives ( too many the misses says) boots I will bring two pairs.

Any camping gear will send MAF into over drive when they are checking through your manifest, we had a few bits of camping gear in our container and it delayed everything.
    There is lots of choice over here, both new and Trademe (new and used, like ebay but smaller).
    The boots are a lot cheaper in the UK so definitely go with that, if they are not used they shouldn't cause any problems bringing them in.
    Not sure where you are going to be settling but it's great for getting out and about wherever you end up.
    Good luck with your move