Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Sleeping mat, insulated or not?

H.M

Sleeping mat, insulated or not?

Looking for a new mat only spending $200 max so keen on the klymit static v series. But unsure if i really need the insulated version or not, i am a hot sleeper so thinking of going with un insulated and saving on weight and bulk and tad cheaper. What would you guys recommend? cheers.

H.M
    I am mainly tops hunting south island all year round.

Definitely go insulated in my opinion.. some of the exped down or synmats can be had for that money, at least on sale or 2nd hand.

The insulation won't do much in summer, but you'll be very grateful for it in winter, when you're not constantly battling against freezing ground soaking your warmth away.

Im a cold sleeper and I would still recommend the insulated matts,
    in summer it won't keep you any warmer, but in winter it will stop you getting cold from the ground and making it easier to regulate your temp with clothing and sleeping bag.

H.M
    Ok i never looked at the exped range what model should i look at?

I’ve got a klymit highly recommended and definitely go the insulated route you won’t regret it in the cold

Exped are great, have woken up to 2" of snow on the ground and i hadnt even zipped my bag up. Cant remember model but mine is long, i'm 6' 4" and fit on it easy. They pack away really small. The inflation bag takes a bit of getting used to and takes a few minutes to do. Have heard there is a new system with hand prints on it with a built in pump.

Liked mine so much i got the same one when the cat decided it would make a good scratching toy.... (god i want to shoot the thing but the missus would not be happy)
    Seventenths, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

I reckon that insulated mats are a bloody have. There is probably some kind of miniscule benefit that they can pick up in testing in a controlled environment but I sure haven't noticed any difference
    Micky Duck and Sarvo like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Try sleeping in a hammock without one in winter, that will change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Try sleeping in a hammock without one in winter, that will change your mind.
    Hows you back after the hammock ??
    Ran into a heap of army guys up behind Paraparaumu years back and they were all using them
    Think they Ok when young and supple - but not sure about when old and bent/buckled and buggered ;-)

Old bent n buggered about sums me up but a 2 person hammock allows you to lie sideways so you are pretty flat. Getting out gracefully now thats an art.
    Barefoot, Huk, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I reckon that insulated mats are a bloody have. There is probably some kind of miniscule benefit that they can pick up in testing in a controlled environment but I sure haven't noticed any difference
    Slept on the old lilos etc years ago,roll of foam before buying one of the first themarest mattresses.
    I am not sure on the the new uninsulated air mats but the themarest beat the uninsulated lilo hand down.
    Still use it as insulation on camp stretcher camping Queens Birthday Weekend.

I spent years using the old foam roll mat and taking the piss out of mates with inflatable mats for being soft.

Coldest night of my life was on a foam roll mat and a spread-out climbing rope. Set up camp in the dark on the only flat bit we could find, mates side of the tent was on snow and he wasn't warm but wasn't uncomfortably cold either, my side was on hard ice and utterly miserable despite a 4 season alpine sleeping bag - losing most of my heat into the ground.

Not long after that experience I bought an exped downmat and wondered why on earth I hadn't done it years earlier, even downsized to a lighter sleeping bag once I wasn't losing that heat to the ground.
    Danny and Steelisreal like this.

Klymit are best value for money

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I totally disagree. I’ve had both and definitely rate the insulated as the way to go. If you’ve got a good quality insulated mat it will cover you for every occasion.
    I personally noticed a big difference going from an uninsulated sea to summit mat to a thermarest xtherm.