Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Sleeping mats

Sleeping mats

What’s the go these days. I’ve been using a thermorest since 2009. Nothing wrong with it I’m just after something that packs down smaller. I’m sure technology has come a fair way since then.

What’s everyone using ? Are Klymit ultralite sleeping mats any good ?
    veitnamcam likes this.

Banned
    Get the 'treklite 6' from Torpedo7. I am same as you - Thermorest for years, never a bad sleep etc. but when camped with mopheadrob I tried his treklite and it is vastly superior to a thermorest for comfort and it folds in half and packs down small - 1/3rd the size of a thermorest. Mine was purchased on a promo for $63 down from $149
    Nathan F and veitnamcam like this.

Thank you will check it out

Banned
    Now have a portable 'sleep where you stop camp'. Treklite pad, Fairydown bivy bag, Halo sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner, inflatable pillow, homemade small fly total 2.7kg plus I use my 'Gamegear carry cape' as protection / groundsheet under the bivy bag, cape also doubles as a rain coat. Not as light as Cuban Fibre etc but not as expensive ...
    Nathan F likes this.

I've used an Exped ul7 for about the last 5 years and really like it. Weights 450gms (7cm thick) but I see they now do a lite version at only 390 gms (5cm). Has an R value of of 3.3 or temp rating of -4
    Recently purchased the Exped SynMat HL. Its a tapered cut which keeps the weight down but reduces the amount of foot area right down. I'm a restless sleeper and managed to say on it rather than sliding off. It weights 430 gms (9cm thick), has an R value of 4.9 and temp rating down to -17. Both come with a Schnozzel Pumpbag UL for inflation that can also be used as a dry bag.
    Never slept on a Thermarest mat, which are a bit more expensive and have been told they are really noisy to sleep on but others may be able to comment on that.
    Both purchased from Bivouac but the latter was on line only
    Nathan F likes this.

Exped and thermolites are great, I must be a fool as i'm still using a foam roll from my shoulders to hips... only 5mm thick.
    Warm Barrels!

+1 for exped, when you need that bit of extra warmth and comfort in the hills its worth the extra money when in town.

Always had simple foam rolls then brought a winter model exped with down in it the cat used as a scratching post (topic for another day how long my partners cat will wait till it mets a messy end) replaced it with a other exped. Bit of a hassle filli g it with the schnozzle bag but you get the hang of it, if there is a light breeze it makes things go quicker

I would much rather have a robust mat than one of them silly bloody spaceman material insulated jobs. Had a Neoair Xtherm and it destroyed itself first time out. They are a have also and the law of diminishing returns comes into play with them big time, in a lab under controlled environments they provide an advantage as far as being warmer but they provide less extra warmth than a slightly better sleeping bag, or throwing your jacket under your mat. I would much prefer a mat I know I can count on than something that costs twice as much, gonna give me a "slightly" warmer sleep but you have to breathe on it the right way or it will develop a tear.
    Micky Duck, Phil_H and dannyb like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I have an exped one. Goes good. I'm carefull not to inflate it right up as I think too much prerssure is what causes them to fail.

Whichever inflatable mat you end up with.. if you’re leaving camp set up for the day, always always partially deflate or open the valve on the mat, so it doesn’t expand and pressure the seams as the day warms up.

I’ve got an exped downmat, which is great and has treated me well for several years (although only very occasional use). Probably the hyperlite and winterlites are the pick of the exped range for now.
    When not using, I leave the mat unrolled and spread out under the bed, fully deflated. (Obviously don’t do this if you have cats etc that spend time under the bed..)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    What’s the go these days. I’ve been using a thermorest since 2009. Nothing wrong with it I’m just after something that packs down smaller. I’m sure technology has come a fair way since then.

What’s everyone using ? Are Klymit ultralite sleeping mats any good ?
    I’ve had most brands, the best I found is the Klymit, they’re also a lot cheaper than the rest.

I’ve also got a Exped Downmat, that’s OK but my ones the short version and I prefer the Klymit - the best nights sleep I’ve ever had in the bush.
    Nathan F and veitnamcam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I’ve had most brands, the best I found is the Klymit, they’re also a lot cheaper than the rest.

I’ve also got a Exped Downmat, that’s OK but my ones the short version and I prefer the Klymit - the best nights sleep I’ve ever had in the bush.
    What does it pack down to Craig ?

I am following this with interest I have an older bottom of range thermarest, its about 16mm thick inflated (self inflating plus a breath or two) and generally the insulation is more than I want and its quite bulky packed down so I often leave it behind if camping on tussock and just put all my clothes and gear under me.
    Was in town under duress the other day and looked at a small packed thermarest in torpedo 7 for just short of 500 bucks!
    I would like to upgrade too.
    Things that matter to me
    Pack size.
    Price.
    Thickness of inflation.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I can highly recommend the Kathmandu Cabana.

Inflated Dimensions - 35cm H x 150cm W x 203cm L (ie queen size)
    Material - Upper Micro suede with 23kgs/m3 foam
    - Base PVC
    Weight 9.85kg
    240v pump supplied

Name:  82033_cabanaairbed_901.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  48.0 KB

Not a light weight, and a bit bulky, but makes glamping in the woolshed pure bliss. Comes in handy for those difficult marital situations as well

Sea to Summit make a range of pads. Particularly a ultralight insulated pad with a R value of about 4.
    I have one now with about 10 bush nights on it and it makes for a good sleep. Use it with a macpac Neve bag. The Neve only has down on the top so your pad fitted into a pocket keeps your under side warm.
    Nathan F and winaa like this.