Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Smart phone and NZ Topo 50 offline

Smart phone and NZ Topo 50 offline

I've just upgraded from an 8-year old flip top phone to a flash Samsung smart phone..... Aside from being a big step up in technology, it's been a reasonably intuitive process thank goodness.

I'm wanting to start using the NZ Topo 50 offline app for hunting. I just think it'll be really handy here in Taranaki where private and DOC land access can be a bit of a mine field. I think I've sussed out that it uses satellites/gps instead of the usual server. Soooooo...... Can I use it to track my path in case some irate cocky accused me of poaching/trespassing on their land.

Also; it can be a bit tricky on some public roads here trying to decipher where DOC and private land sits along the public roads. It can be a bit tricky just using the (paper) topo map.

I thought if you could show your path you could diffuse any (potential) arguments.... I haven't got a GPS but thought for the type of lowland goat/fallow hunting I do the phone would suffice.

Sorry for the Luddite question. I have read the different posts on here and just want to clarify things..... Thanks in advance.....

It can do all that. Has doc overlay, put phone in airplane mode to save battery, record track, job tidy!
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    It can do all that. Has doc overlay, put phone in airplane mode to save battery, record track, job tidy!
    Sweet; thank you! Sounds like $4.99 well spent!
    Tahr and Nugget connaisseur like this.

The app is very user friendly and intuitive.

I put my phone into airplane mode when im out of reception really chews my battery trying to ping a cell tower all the time. GPS still works.
    bumblefoot and Kimber 7mm-08 like this.

You need the settings on the app on record in background setting then it records where you have been, if not it shows it in straight lines from where you were the last time you had a look at the phone to where you are looking now. Great app
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    You need the settings on the app on record in background setting then it records where you have been, if not it shows it in straight lines from where you were the last time you had a look at the phone to where you are looking now. Great app
    Thank you. Was just talking to DOC Wanganui about a particular block and they had just today received a complaint from a hunter about being staunched by a local about paper road access.....

after downloading just play with it, take it a walk to the pub, record your drive/walk to work. It is easy to use and get use to, must be if a simpleton like me likes it.
    bumblefoot and MB like this.

I found the app a lot easier to use than than gps I sold my GPS in the end as didn't need it
    Gibo, bumblefoot, chindit and 2 others like this.

Downloading it now; thanks everyone
    Shearer and chindit like this.

Practice with it recording tracks a bit. A "track" is a recording of where you went. The GPS records hundreds of waypoints and they can be exported as a track in a .gpx file. Or as a .kml (keyhole markup language) file which is compatible with google earth.

Initially I found it would stop tracking me at unpredictable intervals.
    I downloaded another app called GPS Status which somehow set it up to run better. May have been a scam but worth trying if you have dropouts.

Your saved tracks are searchable and you can "share" them into the downloads folder on your phone. Touch the pencil "edit" icon to open up that dialog box.

Software has fewer features than the Garmin handheld but is good for recording like you want to and of course excellent for seeing where you are.

The most electricity is used on the display so if you don't look at it much it won't use much. Turn the brightness down if travelling in the dark to keep your night vision.
    308, bumblefoot and Sideshow like this.

Thank you everyone for all your help. Would it be possible for you to send me all your deer hotspot waypoints? Just to help and old bugger out. Oh; plus your 4x4 to help my old legs, your chainsaw in case there are any windfalls, your rifle (I haven't got one yet) and your missus as camp cook? Hopefully I'm not asking to much? I'm such a considerate bugger that I never asked for your axe either.....

Seriously though; I do appreciate everyone's help. This is a bloody great forum.....
    Cyclops, Pixie Z, chindit and 2 others like this.

Have ViewRanger app.Tracks you where ever you go,no phone reception needed,just satellite.Great for back tracking over rivers at night too.
    bumblefoot likes this.

NZ topo 50 is best app on market.

I’m loving the project a bearing feature.

Shot a deer on a shitty face the other day at 550yards.

I took a bearing with my compass and entered the range and bearing into the app and it placed a waypoint that got me within 20m of the deer.
    308, bumblefoot, elcaro and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Sweet; thank you! Sounds like $4.99 well spent!
    $4.99? I'm just looking at upgrading to the pro version so I can use it offline and it's saying it'll be $19.99. Still not a bad deal, but I'm just wanting to make sure it's the same app.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin007 View Post
    $4.99? I'm just looking at upgrading to the pro version so I can use it offline and it's saying it'll be $19.99. Still not a bad deal, but I'm just wanting to make sure it's the same app.
    New Zealand Topo Maps by ATLOGIS is $19.99, the $4.99 one is the NZ Topo50 Offline (South or North Island) by Right Place Resources.
    bumblefoot likes this.