Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 199p
  • 1 Post By planenutz
  • 1 Post By alanimal

Thread: Smart Watches

Smart Watches

Looking for something mainly so that I can track my route easily.
    Also heard there are some with shot function that drops a pin everytime it picks up you have fired a shot....

Whats the recommendation from the real world testers?

Cheers guys 🍻
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Hey Bro

The sunnto traverse alpha dose the shot record but i have upgradesd to the garmin instant sola

Both watchers are good but garmin has much better battery life and is a smaller to wear i find the traverse is too big for my day to day wearing both have gps tracking

i havnt found how you make a track then follow it on my watch on the garmin but its super easy to do on the sunnto

Cheers
    Shane
    cambo likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Yep, +1 what 199p said.

I have a Suunto Traverse as well and when you're in the hunting mode any shot taken will save the location. Its good, but not foolproof as I've had a few false "shots" recorded but generally it works well. Once you recover the animal you can drop a pin there too and check out the location and the distance on a map later. If you can be bothered, of course.

Perhaps my favorite function is the altimeter. With that function also comes the barometric pressure and everything that brings to your hunting or outdoor activities. This function isn't restricted to just the Suunto of course.

My recommendation is you download and read the User Manual for each of the watches you're interested in. They're available online and a quick scan will give you a good indication of which unit is going to work for you. I like my Traverse Alpha but I think if I were buying a watch today I'd be seriously considering the top of the range Fenix 6 with all the bling and fruit. Its serious coin, unfortunately, but it has everything (and more) except the "shot detection".

Good luck .
    cambo likes this.

I used to have a Suunto 15 odd years ago and those ones the barometer wasn't accurate as wearing it gave rise to much higher temperature readings and affected the barometer have they fixed that sort of thing now? Wasn't restricted to Suunto either

The barometer appears to be very accurate... I've checked it many times both in the hills and in the air. The thermometer will always be affected by body heat so you need to take it off to get a more accurate reading.

Garmin Fenix 6X is brilliant - has topo maps - I use mine on every trip. I also have a Montana GPS - however If I have an animal on my back - I just glance at my watch to head back which is way easier than pulling out the GPS now and then for guidance.
    T.FOYE likes this.

+1 for the 6x. Started with earlier Garmin watches amd they were a little buggy. No problems now.

Quote Originally Posted by alanimal View Post
    Garmin Fenix 6X is brilliant - has topo maps - I use mine on every trip. I also have a Montana GPS - however If I have an animal on my back - I just glance at my watch to head back which is way easier than pulling out the GPS now and then for guidance.
    Has a good little backup ballistics app too.