Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Smart watches - Garmin, Suunto or ? and hunting

Smart watches - Garmin, Suunto or ? and hunting

What’s the good, bad and ugly in real world use? Not really interested in GPS features as I carry the old faithful Garmin 60 for that. Compass, alt and baro and battery life more important. Also no need for latest and big $$$. Prefer a slightly older model with a proven track record. Have several other Garmin devices, find dealing with them a pain in the arse.
    Suunto Traverse any good ?

I have an Instinct Solar mainly because it will link with my Garmin Alpha 100

Good Specials at moment on some models
    https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/brand/garmin?specialOffers=On+Sale&sr=garmin?

MB
    I have the basic Garmin Instinct. Compass is very good, altimeter/barometer less so. It's usable, but I wouldn't expect a 100% accurate reading all the time. Hear what you're saying about GPS on a watch, but it could be your backup. The watch is on your wrist anyway, so no extra weight/hassle. May get you out of trouble one day.
    chainsaw likes this.

garmin instinct for me, currently on special at leemings for 250
    Pengy and chainsaw like this.

I’ve had a Suunto Core and Suunto Baro9, garmin Fenix 3 and currently have a Fenix 5X

Sunnto Core has all the features you want, are really rugged and battery lasts 6 months or so. I’m not sure I’d trust the compass and baro on it. I might still have my old one kicking around, can’t remember if I broke it or not.

Fenix watches are far superior as a smart watch, I wouldn’t be without my 5X but I use it a lot for running. I never use the compass/baro/alliteration/map, but it’s there. I’d always carry a specific compass. Battery lasts about two weeks if not using the running mode much.

Although not quite what you're after, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the new Garmin Fenix 7. I'm expecting it to be around $1500+ though.
    Sika stag and dirkvanvuuren like this.

The DLC and sapphire lens on the Fenix 6 is amazing, it’s yet to take a permanent ding or scratch even though it’s my daily beater watch for work.
    I primarily wanted to be able to see phone notifications without having to dig out my phone. My hands are generally full and all our paging comes via the phone + it’s normally noisy.
    I’m not a smart watch person but been surprised how I’ve warmed to the fitness and biometric recording.
    It gets about two weeks on a charge running an analogue watch face, UTC and day/date. I understand running the second hand chews the battery. Think I was getting close to 3 weeks using a digital display.
    I find the flash light function quite handy at times.
    Charging smart watches is a root and it’s not the most comfortable wearing watch.
    I’ve kept an eye on the barometer, it drifts and needs regular calibration to be close to accurate.
    T.FOYE likes this.

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations. Another factor is how easy is the watch face to read, especially in full sunlight?

fenix 3 and the instinct solar... both are ace. use the gps feature heaps when bush stalking and turn off my main unit.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    how easy is the watch face to read, especially in full sunlight?
    I find the Fenix is much easier to read in full sunlight than in the shade, but still quite useable.

Setting the buttons to shortcut to certain features is quite good too.
    The info displayed on the watch faces is customisable to a point also.
    chainsaw likes this.

Not a watch but depending on your mobile you might already have a device that can be used for compass, altimeter and barometer - and of course topo map/GPS
    My iPhone does all that with a couple of apps - only starting checking barometer on recent hunts and you definitely get a feel for the pressure dropping. The longest hunt I have done was a 5 day one and on flight mode and turning off several nights the battery lasted fine and all the functions above work on flight mode.
    chainsaw likes this.

I have the Fenix 6x Pro Solar - the solar is a bit of a gimmick therefore I had to have it. Garmin got GPS watches right with the Fenix 5x and the 6x wasn't really that different. On battery save mode it lasts for 80 days, and you can still take way points but have tracking turned off. It is a good back up for the 66i and super convenient being on your wrist.
    kiwijames, chainsaw and T.FOYE like this.

And has a very good ballistic app which is so handy to have on the wrist
    chainsaw likes this.

I looked into getting a Garmin watch but 2 things put me off, I would need to wear my reading glasses all the time and I don't wear a watch. I use my phone so I can zoom in negating the need for glasses but do usually carry a 64S as backup

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    Although not quite what you're after, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the new Garmin Fenix 7. I'm expecting it to be around $1500+ though.
    no way your paying $1500 for a watch bro
    BRADS likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"