Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Smartphones for GPS navigation.

Smartphones for GPS navigation.

Ok so sorry if this has been covered before in other threads but I searched and the only one I found was from 2013 which is a long long time in smartphone years!
    What I would like to know is whether it is practical and safe to use a smartphone app as a navigation tool in the New Zealand backcountry and, if so, what apps do people have to recommend? The old thread cited battery life and waterproofing problems as arguments for a dedicated GPS, both of which id have thought have been largely voided since then, by advances in technology, solar chargers and power banks etc.
    The reason I ask is I am trying to decide between an Inreach Mini and a 66i, obviously, if I can use my phone as a map tool, the 66i is an unnecessary (and large) expense.
    Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and experiences.
    Thanks.

I carry an etrex as backup but my phone is primary navigation aid

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

NZ topo50

Runs off satellites so don't need reception, also you don't have to have looked at the map while in reception in order for your phone to remember it.

Easy to overlay conservation land boundries ontop of topo map which can be very handy at times.

If you are not expecting any calls then switching to flight mode will stop your phone searching for a network which vastly increases your phones battery life.

I have found it to be a little out at times in heavy bush but generally its pretty good

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I use memory map on an iPhone with life proof case.

Not waterproof. Very accurate.

You can carry a solar battery charging back if you wish. Turn it on airplane mode and the battery lasts Yonks.
    Swanny likes this.

+1 for nz topo 50 using map and compass as back up. Sure its 1.3gb iirc but once downloaded you got the entire island stored to your phone. I use it just to show places to people even when in reception, having doc boundaries on it is a big bonus (would want to confirm them before trips that will be close to private lamd)
    kukuwai likes this.

Plus 1 for memory map. Phone on airplane mode for battery life, easy to follow track out and screen bigger than dedicated GPS. Modern phones have much better GPS reception than older ones. I use samsung 8, a bit water resistant and slips into inside pocket of bono bivy for easy access. Has doc blocks outlined with a green border.

Iv just got a black view ruged phone at the start of the month & put topo 50 on it I found it so much better to use then my Garmin 64s it is a heave phone for a phone but it has a really big battery had it tracking me all weekend & looking at the map to see where to head & made a couple phone calls home phone still has 78% battery power nw I did have it in airplane mode all the time I found it tracked me exactly where I went i won't take yrs again it is sold as a water proof phone but if it's wet I would put in a plastic bag to help look after it but I did that with my 64s anyway

+1 for nztopo50 on a smartphone switched to flight mode. I carry mine in a snap lock bag for a little extra waterproofing but can still use the touchscreen. I also carry a small power bank which gives me 1 full charge. Plus it’s my camera and an emergency torch.
    kukuwai likes this.

MB
    As above. I also inherited an older iPhone which I carry fully charged and switched off as a backup.

I currently use an iPhone 7,previously used iPhone 5 and before that a telecom R83. Have phone in airplane mode if wanting to extend battery life. I have tried Map toaster, iHike, Memory-Map and NZ Topo50. Topo50 is the one I use most, it has better map resolution on screen. GPS receivers in phones are pretty good these days, as accurate ( around Marlborough/Nelson ) as my E-Trex 30 most times and it's set to track US and Russian sattelites. Still carry E-Trex as back-up occasionally on longer trips. iPhone is IP67 rated so fairly good, it's been soaked in rain on more than one occasion and fell in water once and still going. I'm pretty hard on phones. I dont use waterproof covers, just cheap covers and they live in my pocket all day most days.
    Long story, short. Phone loaded with NZ Topo50 is more than adequate for most situations. I do however always carry an e-pirb. And when in a new area a map and compass, the compass is always in my hunting kit.

ViewRanger App, similar to others also allows you download and use topomaps offline.

I had some surprises the other day with my iPhone 6 and nztopomap. It was locating me close to Taupo town while I was navigating in clememt mills Rd. Lucky I still have my trusty Garmin .

I use ihikeGPS NZ which seems to work great. Most of the time I carry a small light weight power bank as well.

Can anyone tell me if NZ Topo50 maps App have the capability to over lay satellite images on iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Robojaz View Post
    ViewRanger App, similar to others also allows you download and use topomaps offline.
    Hi @Robojaz, I use ViewRanger too but I can’t seem to find any layers with doc boundaries. Have you managed to find a function with public/private boundaries?