Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Solar Charger

Solar Charger

Looking at some of the small portable/fold up solar chargers as something to throw in the pack to charge Garmin alpha 200i and the tt15 collar along with other small things, phone, headtorch etc. I've thought about a battery bank but I'd rather have something that provided ongoing power if the worst came to the worst. Any recommendations?
    dannyb likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Get both....can't reccomend any particular but battery banks are pretty compact and light these days and solar chargers are also pretty light too best of both worlds
    #DANNYCENT

The new nitecore battery banks are bloody impressive size and weight wise.
    terryf likes this.

GWH
    Ive had one of these for a few years.

https://nz.banggood.com/BlitzWolf-20...r_warehouse=CN

It appears that one is no longer available, but there's other similar units around. I only paid about NZ$60 from memory. It works pretty well, if you combine with a USB power bank, you can leave the power bank charging in the sun during the day at camp, and then use the Power bank to charge your device's over night etc.

I have a little 2 bay 5v battery charger too, which will charge any battery technology, from sizes from AAA up to 18650's, which is pretty handy, it can be powered off the panel direct or the power bank.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

I have this 10w folding solar panel from Jaycar. ($70)

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/10w-solar-m...cable/p/MB3595

Charges my phone about as fast as a wall charger when in full light.

Only downside is it’s only water ‘resistant’, and the ‘hinge’ doesn’t fully fold flat, I guess to protect the cable. This causes a ~1cm gap at that end when folded, which might get crushed if you’re not careful with packing it.

Weighs about 300g without cable.

I also have a 20k mAh powerbank which cost <$40, and weighs 400g without cable. Obviously more compact than the panel too. A lower capacity bank would be lighter, I expect. 20k was heaps for 3 nights, charging a couple of phones, plus running an LED hut light for hours.

I’d probably just take the big powerbank for up to 3-4 nights away, depending on expected usage. I got the solar more for what-if/emergency use in mind.

Think about when you’re likely to be charging your devices in the hills - at night in camp with the powerbank, or trying to remember to set up a panel while you’re glassing or having a snooze during the day?

They can be clipped to the outside of a pack etc, but still need to be facing the right direction to get the juice flowing.

I do have another wee 2x18650 powerbank, good for 1-2 nights for the phone and headlamp, but probably wouldn’t suit the amount of devices you want to charge.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

I have a project solar panel from repco. Does a great job! And when I'm not charging direct off it, it charges a battery bank

I use Ozzito battery tools and they have this cool little adapter with 2 USB ports on it so you can convert the battery into a power bank. Cheap as chips ($11 from memory). Not sure if the other manufacturers do it.
    Edit. Gone up in price I see.
    https://www.bunnings.co.nz/ozito-pxc...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Looks like Makita do them too now.
    7mmwsm, Pengy and Moa Hunter like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Anker 21W panel and either Samsung or Anker power bank,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/293519999495

Have a small 10w goal zero, says on the back not to charge direct to phone so you'd need to take a battery bank anyway.

The price of mobile fold up solar is about twice that of standard panels for the same wattage (doing a bit of research on off grid and discovering there is no such thing as 'free power from the sun')
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

And like freezers, bigger is always better for solar panels. Had a guy at work buy something called a solar monkey or similar. Pretty expensive and gave sweet feek all charge.

Note that just because a solar panels says 50 watt or whatever, only means you'll get 50 watt when new, when panel is cold and positioned perpendicular to the suns rays.

In June with fog and then low cloud all day one of my 3 Kw arrays produced...1 Kw for the entire day.

If you are going to rely on say 10 watts of power, go for a 50 watt panel. Then you will always be able to guarantee getting 10 watts.

If you are heading bush for a period based from the ute/truck, consider a roof rack holding a 100 watt panel.
    rugerman, Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Ha!!!

'Massive' and '10 watt' don't really belong in the same sentence. But good on their marketing team

Blavor Solar Power Bank is one of the best solar pwer bank. It is durable and long lasting.

However, RAVPower 20000mAh Solar Power Bank is also one of the best choices you can rely on. https://houseandbeyond.org/best-solar-power-bank/ this may help you find some other ideas about solar power banks.