Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 6x47

Thread: Southland Sliipers - Redbands or others

Southland Sliipers - Redbands or others

Hello Folks

My bloody redbands are leaking, blown out just behind the ball of my foot, both left and right. I'm pretty pissy cause they always leak in the same place, and I always keep the spare that doesn't when I buy the new pair. Last time one started to leak I found I actually had the correct side in the spares dept. However that was a few months ago and as mentioned both have now crapped out. So thats not much over 12-15 months from a pair of Redbands plus backup.

I went to town to get a new pair and flaming heck, a pair of Redbands is just over $100, and Quatto's (which I find are a bit heavy) were $205.

So - if you wear gumboots everyday what are you wearing these days and how long do they last?? I really like shorties, as light as possible. Thoughts?

Bekina ultralights are pretty good allthough im a redband fan myself and haven't had any problems with them except blown a hole in the side of a couple of pairs kickstarting bikes.

Ps: where do you buy from? $100 for redbands and $205 for short quattros seems pretty steep. Paid $129 for my short quattros and think about $80 for redbands from PGG Wrightsons, thats on account though with account holder discount but still cant imagine them being worth that much!

Thanks for the point to the Bekina's, They look really good, I'll try a pair. To be fair about pricing I was at a hardware store (E Hayes and Sons - best one in NZ if not Australasia) and I wouldn't normally buy that sort of thing from them . . .

Haven't had any problems with Redlands either but skellerup 4*4s seem pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also think the prices are a bit steep. Farmlands or other farm stores quite often have sales where you can pick them up cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Bekina ultralights are pretty good allthough im a redband fan myself and haven't had any problems with them except blown a hole in the side of a couple of pairs kickstarting bikes.
    +1

I'm a redband man too, but I'm thinking of trying the Bekina ultralights
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

only get a year out off 4x4, boss gets about the same out off his quattros

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    +1

I'm a redband man too, but I'm thinking of trying the Bekina ultralights
    I'm gonna give a pair a nudge, mrs has them and loves them, only thing I don't like about them is they seem quite "sharp" around the edges (if that makes any sense?) so if youre a shorts guy in the summer they could get a bit cutty on the legs, should be able to round the edge off a bit though.

northdude
    I put a tyre patch where they always go where the front flexes

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I'm gonna give a pair a nudge, mrs has them and loves them, only thing I don't like about them is they seem quite "sharp" around the edges (if that makes any sense?) so if youre a shorts guy in the summer they could get a bit cutty on the legs, should be able to round the edge off a bit though.
    Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, there is nothing worse that gumboots chafing your legs
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Thanks for the point to the Bekina's, They look really good, I'll try a pair. To be fair about pricing I was at a hardware store (E Hayes and Sons - best one in NZ if not Australasia) and I wouldn't normally buy that sort of thing from them . . .
    Hayes is a damn good shop but they are expensive. I go there for hard to find items or if I am in a rush

Hayes is a 'must-see" if you're ever in Invers. My brother told me to visit them and he was dead right. Probably the last of the classic high-grade hardware/tool shops.

and I didn't even mention the vintage m/cycles in there, esp the Munro Special..
    Fireflite likes this.