Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Spotlight

Spotlight

Done a bit of reading on previous threads which seem a tad outdated so thought I would ask again,

Situation is I need a new spotlight, something that is good out to around 500m on the right night, will be run on 12V batteries, and the ability to mount onto my rifle is a must.
    So the question is what is the go, was looking at the big light forces,

Any advice is appreciated
    Cheers
    Dan
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

Maxtoch.
    Munsey likes this.

+1
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    +1
    +2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

+3

Ejected
    I have a couple of lightforces converted to HID that I don't use any more if you wanted to go that way. Heavier than a maxtoch but brighter, it depends on what your intended use is as to what suits better.

I went the Maxtoch. Both the M24 and the SN2X. Man I was impressed. Batteries (spares) are much easier to carry than the gel cells too.

Cheers guys, ill take your advice, next question which one and where do i get it from quickly ?
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

Spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    I have a couple of lightforces converted to HID that I don't use any more if you wanted to go that way. Heavier than a maxtoch but brighter, it depends on what your intended use is as to what suits better.
    Sounds good being HID they wouldn't draw as much, how long would you expect off the smaller potable 12V battery's?
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Sounds good being HID they wouldn't draw as much, how long would you expect off the smaller potable 12V battery's?
    Roughly a 35W HID will be dragging 3-3.5A, so divide your battery Ah rating by that. So a typical 7Ah battery in good nick will give up to 2 hours. But generally the more frequently you take the voltage of the battery low the shorter the battery life will be.
    Danny likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Need something that will pick up deer out to 500m , so whatever would suit best for that

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    Need something that will pick up deer out to 500m , so whatever would suit best for that
    If 90% of your lamping is from a vehicle I would recommend the biggest non HID lightforce,on a good night I can see and identify sex, deer out to 8-900 yards in the open(in conjunction with good glass).
    HID are brighter and use less power but the colour is bad for picking animals from background (Identify target beyond all doubt) and some led are really bad for picking out eyes great but cant pick the animals body from the background.

The Maxtoch dedomed work very very well as a walk around option but best to talk to the likes of mudgrips and gadgetman as there is led and led and the colors can vari massively.

led lenser were all the rage a few years back but they are very expensive and there color just does not work, picks up eyes for miles but cant see anything to shoot till very close.
    DanS likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nah wont be from a vehicle mostly, sweet ill wait and see what the boys reckon when they see the thread cheers

Just confirming before I purchase this is the right Maxtoch ?
    Aliexpress.com : Buy MAXTOCH Sniper M24 Dedomed U3 LED 1250lm, AR Lens, Copper LED Base, Long Shooting Distance Hunt Flashlight from Reliable led drop suppliers on EST GROUP Co., Ltd | Alibaba Group

Also is there a mount you can get to chuck them on top of your scope ?

Cheers
    Dan
    gadgetman likes this.

That looks like the right Maxtoch, you might be stretching a bit to I.D. out to 500, although I've never really taken much notice of the extreme range mine is capable of.. Had no problems shooting to 200 or so (about as far as I'm happy shooting at night), and spotting roos out to 300+ in scrubby tussock country

I use a mount like this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Scope...383454411.html (Wasn't this exact one, just the first I could find)

Rock solid on a suppressed 223, assume it should handle extra recoil alright. Takes 20 seconds to attach or remove and holds the light nice and high in case you have tall turrets or a wide objective. Works fine on any size tube..