Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Stainless steel colouring/coating?

I have a small stainless steel part that I want 'replated' or coloured.
    It's originally a 'black oxide' colour job, but I don't think that's a job for doing at home.
    Tried a Cerakote guy but he wants minimum $50 and the part isn't worth doing for that.
    Could clean the old black oxide colour off and heat the part to get a run of colour through it (blue/purple). But would ideally like the black oxide finish again.
    This is the bit I have (it's the middle one)...Yes, it's for my razor...no nancy-boy cartridge razors here.
    The black oxide finish is being discontinued by the maker. I already have the OC version of this part, and just received this other plate today...but it's black oxide finish has been damaged.
    Paint is no good obviously, needs electroplating maybe (?).
    Don't really want to polish the whole thing to make it all shiny either.
    Anyone in NZ who would do this sort of work?
    Thanks.
    https://www.blacklandrazors.com/shop/blackbirdbaseplate

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Upgrade to a carbon steel straight razor

"black oxide" is bluing. Anyone with a hot blue tank could have a crack, but without knowing the composition of the steel it'll be guesswork/ trial and error.
    You could have a crack at rust bluing it at home, but being stainless you're in for a long process unless you can get some pretty agressive acid on it (fume tent)
    Sold all my straights (except for one...it's a pre 1890 one with original horn scales, and I haven't figured out how to price it yet!).
    At 73 I figured a DE is way safer for me now.
    Yeah, figured about the acids...too dodgy for home use.
    I may just get the polish wheel going and polish the little sod...keep the rest of the razor black.
    Cerakote will be fine, but would need to do it at home to make it worthwhile.
    The base is made from 303 stainless (no...not a stainless .303 in case anyone gets confused).

Nitrideing.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.