Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Stoney Creek Expedition Gaiters Good or Bad?

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar

Stoney Creek Expedition Gaiters Good or Bad?

Have a trip planned for 2 weeks time and looking at gear etc
    Has anyone used the new stoney creek gaiters? Thoughts? any others that i should be looking at?
    Cheers
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

Been thinking of getting a pair too, my last trip a got stabbed pretty good in the calf muscle above the short gaiters I was wearing. The Duley’s boys use them.

MSL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dreamer, JoshC and BRADS like this.

I've got as pair of Shitty Creek gaiters and they have been crap. The extra wire that you need to buy separately to go under your boot has a ring on each end that has caught on something and continually stabbed me in the other calf. Both hooks on the front have come off, domes at the front have fallen off and the attachment on the sides where you attach the underwires have broken. In 18 months they are f**ked. Had Outdoor Research before this that lasted 7 plus years that wore out and nothing broke on them. A little bit noisy for hunting though. I've actually noticed on a lot of the Duleys shows they are wearing them but obviously not a sponsor as they did a promo on the Shitty Creek ones but often you see the distinctive OR on the side of their gaiters in some shots.
    I'm in the process of getting some Outdoor Research Realtree Camo Gaiters sent down to the Dunedin Biviouac store to see what they are like. Will let you know what they are like in a few days.
    257weatherby likes this.

Same they are comfortable but domes and hooks are soft I use them daily when fencing.

I was looking at getting a pair of these too. my Fairydown ones have finally started to come apart after 10years of abuse. Might look at something different after reading the above.

https://www.mountainhighclothing.co....gaiters-chaps/
    I got a pair of putties from this place 3 months ago and use them every day and they are mean as.

What about Game Gear? I really rate their stuff but haven't got the gaiters.... However I have pig hunting mates who swear by their chaps? https://www.gamegear.co.nz/collections/gaiters-puttees

I do have mates wh have had a good run from Army gaiters https://www.armyandoutdoors.co.nz/collections/gaiters
    dannyb likes this.

Gkp
    Stoney creek alpine model is good

absolute crap... think i got about half a dozen trips out a pair before they where toast.

Have had close to 10 years service out of my cactus gaiters. They do how however need a wee bit of stitching work done on then to be fair. But hooks, Velcro and domes all in good condition unlike the Stony creek.

Don’t bother, I have had three pairs, only cos I grab them when I’m in farmlands, all three have been shit, hooks broke, stitching came undone, the loop underneath only lasts a day or two

Quote Originally Posted by possum_shooter View Post
    I've got as pair of Shitty Creek gaiters and they have been crap. The extra wire that you need to buy separately to go under your boot has a ring on each end that has caught on something and continually stabbed me in the other calf. Both hooks on the front have come off, domes at the front have fallen off and the attachment on the sides where you attach the underwires have broken. In 18 months they are f**ked. Had Outdoor Research before this that lasted 7 plus years that wore out and nothing broke on them. A little bit noisy for hunting though. I've actually noticed on a lot of the Duleys shows they are wearing them but obviously not a sponsor as they did a promo on the Shitty Creek ones but often you see the distinctive OR on the side of their gaiters in some shots.
    I'm in the process of getting some Outdoor Research Realtree Camo Gaiters sent down to the Dunedin Biviouac store to see what they are like. Will let you know what they are like in a few days.
    I brought a pair of OR gaiters this year and yeah they are ok but there must be better out there in NZ. They do stay up and are light but noisy and not much of a lace hook.

I highly recommend Cactus, Twin needle look good too. Also nice to support nz manufacturers. Not that expensive when you consider how they last, probably need half a dozen pairs of stony creek for the same amount of wear.
    Jit likes this.

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    Cheers guys, helpful info will give the cactus a go I think
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

I have a pair of the older stoney creek gaiters which I’ve thrashed over the years, still just hanging in there but they’ve certainly been abused.

Not sure about the newer model.

Have thought about Huntech, a mate has a pair and loves them