Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By dvk-kp
  • 2 Post By Rock river arms hunter
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 2 Post By caberslash
  • 3 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By Friwi

Thread: Stoney Creek Jackets - feedback wanted

Stoney Creek Jackets - feedback wanted

After feedback on a few models, save the Swazi, Kuiu, etc recommendations please.

Looking at a solid shell so water, wind proof so to speak.

So far landing on the Tundra but Glaisnock also looking good due to length.

Any experiences good or bad with either?

I'm a fan of the soft shells, keeps the wind off and enough for a light shower if it for a day walk or overnight. Wear the frostline (I think it is) most days. I find the pockets of soft shells more useable than a dedicated 'raincoat'

Also have a glasnock, gets used if I am going out and it's already raining or any extended trips where your going to be I the weather for more than a couple of hours.

Soft shells are a lot quieter when moving around or sitting quietly, have to make sure I take something to sit on as softshell dont usually cover your arse
    Gibo likes this.

Yeah sweet i have a soft shell sorted

Cole
    I’ve got a Stoney Creek Pioneer Rain jacket. It’s awesome. It’s from their rural range at farmlands. Hard wearing and water and wind proof. Worth adding to your list of jackets to compare
    Gibo likes this.

I have a tundra.

I got it because I'd used a Tarn(the model it superceded) when I was possuming and loved how bullet proof and effective it was at going through lots of horse, matagouri etc and all the fun stuff you have to deal with when possuming.

So after getting out of that line of work and my tarn looking a bit worn out I bought a new Tundra

Had it 3 or so years.

Its saved my life once. And continues to perform. Amazing windproofing in them, just defeats any cold southerly on the tops like no bodies business. Not too noisy in the bush but if you're wearing a jacket in the bush the deer wont notice anyway. It's got a amazing good that provides great peripheral vision when up and it packs down inside the hood.

I'd buy another in a heart beat and you won't be disappointed
    jakewire and Gibo like this.

I have the tundra and pants.
    Jacket had lots of use over last 3-4 years, been a bloody good jacket.,best I have owned.
    Bit noisy in bush and not warm but wasnt designed for either of those things.
    Breathable, utterly storm proof and will keep you dry but not warm. All good layer underneath if parked up.
    Repoofed twice in that time still works as new but looks a bit tattyer.
    Pants work as advertised but I very rarely use them......they need pockets and a lining to be used by themselves and they get sweaty and clammy over the top of another layer.
    Gibo likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Used Swazi for a few years now and got work to buy me the Stoney Creek Tundra jacket and pants to try.

Jacket is waterproof (as in from above via rain), as much as a garment can be with holes for your head and arms. Pockets in good places,

Trousers not well thought out at all, too loose round the waist on mine and the belt it comes with will pinch together at the back when tightened up. Too loose round the ankles with no real way to tighten up apart from the press studs which are too far forward so not tight enough. Might add another one later.

The Tundra material is way too loud if you wear the jacket and trousers together. Prefer to just wear the jacket then a set of Swazi overtrousers with the soft material. Otherwise it sounds like someone rubbing sandpaper together!

Made in China, huge negative for me and explains how they are able to come in at their price point. Would not be surprised if someone found a message begging for help inside one, what with the Chinese using Uyghur slave labour. Pretty disgusting how a company can profit from exporting labour like that, not taking on any responsibility for their workforce. Swazi not perfect but seeing 'sown by Jane in NZ' gives a bit more comfort to the mind. Then again have Swazi not started using labour in Thailand to make their cheaper stuff?

The search for perfection continues...
    Steve123 and Sakoswarosorted like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Gibo I have had the Stoney Creek windproof and waterproof jackets and trousers for almost twenty years. I can’t tell you what models they are without clamouring around and risking waking my missus but they are both bloody good at doing what they were designed to do. The Stoney Creek range of kit (noting that I haven’t bought any in at least ten years) gets a solid five Rushy stars out of five for doing the job and lasting the distance. That from a rough old bugger that bashes straight lines through the bush and snags himself on every available branch, twig and bit of hanging bush lawyer he encounters.
    Gibo, Micky Duck and Frodo like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Had my tundra about a year now, it was quite good the first 8 months but is not very waterproof anymore at all! may just need re waterproofing.

Quote Originally Posted by Backsteaks View Post
    Had my tundra about a year now, it was quite good the first 8 months but is not very waterproof anymore at all! may just need re waterproofing.
    To me that'd a load of shit that they need re waterproofing as I would thought that the waterproof layer should be on the inside not a product just put on the outside to make the water beed

I have had Swazi and Stoney creek both do as advertised ,i preferer the Swazi as it lasted longer than the Stoney creek which all the inside sealed tapes came unstuck after about 18 mths. Both also became victims to the curse of matorgagri which turned into them into leakers . Now i just use a stow it jacket which works fine and if it gets holed its not the end of the world .

My complaint with the Swazi tahr is that once wet it weighs twice as much and feels as wet on the inside as the outside.
    Danny likes this.