Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By huglife

Thread: Stoney creek long bush jacket

Stoney creek long bush jacket

Not the fleece one but the rain jacket. Anyone have one and what are they like. I'm keen on that style of jacket. Quiet outer, waterproof, light weight, 1/3 zip and it's not camo. Looking to go to one jacket. Currently carry a rain jacket and my swazi fleece jacket. Would like the swazi version but my pockets are currently not deep enough for that. Will be used as my all purpose jacket from bush to alpine hunting. Cheers for any input and suggestions.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Not the same model, but I just bought a Stoney Frostline jacket. I've always had the 1/3 zip type jackets but decided on a full zip for a change, looks the bees and fits great over layers. Due to trial it next month for a few days.

I bought one of these on special a wee while ago, like you I had the idea of just using it as a one top for everything sort of thing and changing my underlayers to suit the conditions. I don't know if it's that suited to wear on days where it might only shower or not rain too heavy as it's not actually that quiet in the bush, and doesn't pack down at all. In saying that I've still used it as a one top for everything during this winter just because it's nice to not worry about the weather, and because I've bought it now.

It stands up to the weather all good and goes all good in general. I have only used it in the North Island but have been above the bushline in gale+downpour and its warm enough and dry enough with a good hood. Only thing I'd say is it's not that quiet really.
    tetawa likes this.

possibly would be better to go with the full zip version too as a one top for everything because it allows you to regulate your temp a bit better opening it right up.. I still like the chest zip though

Quote Originally Posted by huglife View Post
    possibly would be better to go with the full zip version too as a one top for everything because it allows you to regulate your temp a bit better opening it right up.. I still like the chest zip though
    As above, have one as well. Good if you get it for the right price but a not having a full length zip is a bit of a pain when layering up and down
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

If a silent style waterproof one do all is your thinking what about a Ridgeline Mallard Anorak or their Torrent Jacket, they are on special at the moment too. I think they are running at about $110 and $150 respectively at MAd Mikes

I liked the look of the frost line it's just not waterproof. I'm not a fan of full length zip as I found that I would destroy the bottom zip from lots of movement. Maybe I'm a rough bugger. Really loke 1/3 zips. Interesting that you say it's not very quiet. Figured it would be with that soft outer. Cheers for the input.

I have the Bushbuck big 4 which was good value at $250.

But saw almost exactly the same in Huntech - but heaps cheaper... Product Categories Outerwear