Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By 300_BLK
  • 1 Post By 300_BLK

Thread: Swags?

Swags?

So a mate has got a patch of land and on a Friday night I often grab the kids and blast up for a little getaway, however trying to find a flat bit of ground in the middle of the night, even with a head torch, big enough for several tents is getting a tad tiring, especially when he keeps rotating the stock to keep the grass down...
    So was thinking that a swag or two might be a better option, anyone use one or can recommend one, looking at the arb SkyDome or the Darche dirty Dee as I can find nz websites for those.

I prefer a hammock! less weight and just comfortable on older bones.
    Not everyones flavor! but after a hoochie or one man bivy's, I still have a macpac cocoon, probably been replace with some other space age thing with whistles.
    But it was good in the transition and lighter to carry than a tent, and made the fly camping a little more better in the rain.
    Just my own take on it. Just a large fly and a couple of poles the kids will love or run from it! mine just liked being out fly camping, it was all part of their life.
    They all had the special weekend hunt and camping out when they each turned seven, just fond memories and a good start to building character.
    One maybe a little far from it at this point in time ! But this life is still very much part of him.
    When they are young you seem to pick weather thats enjoyed and if it closes in they don't mind sitting and cooking more.
    You'll learn no harm from the hills, as they say.
    KH
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Swags are big and heavy but theyre comfy to sleep in. We got a couple of Adventure Kings big daddy deluxe for $320 each, delivered. I'm happy with them - theyre worth a look.

Swags are excellent if you've got a vehicle or trailer to transport them - they tend to get a bit bulky and if you have several it all adds up. But they come in to their own when you pull up somewhere in the middle of the night and have no idea whats about. Just roll it out, tie it up to the truck somehow, and climb in, your bed and mattress are already in there. Theres a NZ company somewhere here in the Central South Island that makes them, something "antler" in the name.

Plus one for the Adventure Kings ones. Arrived overnight from Melbourne and made of quality canvas. Easy to use and plenty of good reviews out there.

We have the big daddy deluxe for me and the missus and a single for the bandits to share but will grab another one so they can have there own or when I go hunting.

Best vehicle based but can’t rate them enough

Name:  0285A0ED-021A-4593-AFF8-EA842C165162.jpeg
Views: 868
Size:  669.0 KB
    john m, Husky1600 and Moa Hunter like this.
    Warm Barrels!

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    Plus one for the Adventure Kings ones. Arrived overnight from Melbourne and made of quality canvas. Easy to use and plenty of good reviews out there.

We have the big daddy deluxe for me and the missus and a single for the bandits to share but will grab another one so they can have there own or when I go hunting.

Best vehicle based but can’t rate them enough

Attachment 126475
    Looks good for fine weather, what are they like in the wet opening up like that?

Well you don't open them all the way!

The single has a flap you open at the 'head' end and its ideal if you have a fly for admin but i have used them in some of the worst weather imaginable and they are great.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

We have an adventure Kinds Big Daddy swag too, only for vehicle based camping. Sling a 4x3M tarp over top if weather is looking crap.
    Another option may be NZ made Hardantler swags,

Shut up, get out & start pushing!