Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Swazi Kagoule & Rifleman Jacket Reviews

Swazi Kagoule & Rifleman Jacket Reviews

Hi all,

As promised here is the review for both the Kagoule & Rifleman Jacket.

The Kagoule

First impressions were that this thing looks like a quality jacket. I'm 83KG and made the right choice going for size medium, it has plenty of room to fit a large puffer jacket underneath + other layers if necessary. You could easily fit 3/4 layers if you're the 'feel the cold' type. It is able to be packed down inside its hood which isn't too bulky for a bombproof warm & waterproof jacket. Weighing in at about 900 grams this is definitely in the region of being regarded as a light jacket, I wouldn't say ultralight.

I've taken this jacket on 2 big trips. Haast was the most recent and the weather was shit. The kagoule was fantastic, constant drizzle in the rain, busting my ass through thick crappy bush. When it started to get REALLY thick I'd zip up my hood and I would feel indestructable. The hood is very comfortable, roomy and ridid, I felt like I was under a bomb shelter.

Throughout this hunt I only wore 1x long sleeve merino and the Kagoule on top and I was warm throughout the day. I have been in some seriously howling winds in the tops hunting for tahr and it is 100% windproof, I was pretty surprised. I felt very protected with this jacket on.

Big bonus/essential with this jacket is the length, it hangs just below your backside, perfect length in my opinion. I have done a substantial amount of KM's walking with a heavy pack with this jacket, not once did it ride up under the bag.

The zipper only goes down half way, this could be an issue for some however I didn't find it a problem at all. It is a boxy fit which means taking it on and off is a breeze.

The pockets were very handy, very simple and easily accessable. The chest pocket was great, can't fault it.

The material is quite soft and quiet, I think this would go well when stalking.

To summerise; if you're after a highly waterproof, warm, tough, quiet, comfortable and very light quality jacket then this could be for you.

Name:  20180430_211133.jpg
Views: 5044
Size:  7.25 MB
    Name:  20180414_160936 (1).jpg
Views: 4241
Size:  915.1 KB

The Rifleman

First impressions; Sheesh this thing is insanely light! 295grams for size Large however I purchased size Medium. The jacket packs down very small which is a major bonus.

The fit is pretty boxy, much like the Kagoule. You can easily fit 3/4 layers if necessary. The hood is of the exact same quality but a lighter version of the kagoule. I had a fair amount of rain on this tahr trip, it was awesome watching the water bead off like a ducks back! I had this right up in the tops with a fair amount of wind and I was comfortable. 100% wind proof for sure.

Once again the length is great, pretty much identical to the Kagoule. It has 1 pocket by the chest which appears to be very waterproof but does not have the waist pockets like the Kagoule. I don't think having waist pockets would be necessary with this jacket.

The material is definitely not quiet, is it quite noisey however for me this is not an issue when hunting tops/tahr/rain.

There's not much more to say about this jacket. The weight and packability is the selling point for me, there's no reason not to have one in your day bag. It is seriously light. It is high quality, ultralight, good length & comfortable. I will be taking this one on my Tahr trips and leaving the Kagoule at home most likely, depending on the time of year. I'd take the Kagoule in winter.

I am stoked on both, each serve a purpose in my hunting arsenal. Let me know if you have any questions. First review on a product for me, I hope it was an easy read! Cheers

Name:  31530862_10155128324651222_2324082704527654912_n.jpg
Views: 4894
Size:  747.5 KB

Great reviews thanks!
    hotsoup and Cordite like this.

Thanks for review hotsoup. Been keen on getting a Rifleman due to the light weight, good to see positive input on it....
    hotsoup likes this.

No worries. I realised I wasn't critical at all in this review.

The boxyness of the jacket may not suit some hunters, definitely isn't an athletic cut. However having it boxy helps fitting more layers underneath which I think is very important.

My previous jacket (Kuiu Yukon) I struggled to fit much underneath comfortably.

Otherwise I can't actually think of any other faults. See how I go over the rest of the year.
    matagouri likes this.

Cheers @hotsoup. Good review, makes me want to get one of each! I've just bought the new Tahr and love it - Too big to take in the day pack "just in case" but I'm never going hunting without it again if there's rain in the forecast!
    Perhaps I should look into a Rifleman for the day pack just in case...
    hotsoup likes this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

@hotsoup
    Good review
    I notice most you guys (mainly the younger generation) wear plenty of clothing - whereas if I did it - I would get soaked with sweat (and I am not a fat beggar either)
    Most items I have - just do not seem to breath like they state
    Is it just me and I perspire more than others - or is it my choice of product
    I have Swazi - Stony Creek - Jahti Jaht - Ridgeline

I sweat like a rapist @Sarvo... Maybe it's because I am fat and unfit. When I know it is going to be a grunt I will lose the mid layer and move around in a merino thermal and weather-proof layer (Tahr) then put more layers on when I stop to glass. Doesn't stop me sweating on the uphill but wicks away with a quality thermal and I don't get cold.
    hotsoup likes this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    I sweat like a rapist @Sarvo... Maybe it's because I am fat and unfit. When I know it is going to be a grunt I will lose the mid layer and move around in a merino thermal and weather-proof layer (Tahr) then put more layers on when I stop to glass. Doesn't stop me sweating on the uphill but wicks away with a quality thermal and I don't get cold.
    Yep I am the same. I would wear 2 layers underneath the Kagoule or Rifleman at a maximum. If I'm climbing I start cooking, I zip the jacket down as far as it goes which helps with breathability etc.

When I stop to glass is when I quickly add the extra layer (or puffer if it's in my day bag)

Another point I forgot to mention. I love the idea of supporting NZ Made products, makes me feel good about the purchase.
    JoshC and blake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    Yep I am the same. I would wear 2 layers underneath the Kagoule or Rifleman at a maximum. If I'm climbing I start cooking, I zip the jacket down as far as it goes which helps with breathability etc.

When I stop to glass is when I quickly add the extra layer (or puffer if it's in my day bag)

Another point I forgot to mention. I love the idea of supporting NZ Made products, makes me feel good about the purchase.
    So - what do you guys wear 1st layer against skin
    I always wear wool - and it aint Merino - just good old fashioned Wool - Brass Monkey and MKM Brands - New Zealand

In MHO - the Merino brand has been completly barsterdised by Coorperate chains and I will ever trust or believe again its a genuine Merino product - just marketing hype

At the moment I'm wearing an oldschool Swazi merino long sleeve on bare skin, I found it at an OP Shop for $10. It's a relic as far as I'm concerned!

Otherwise I will wear the Kuiu merino long sleeve. I cycle between the 2. I rate both highly
    JoshC likes this.

At the moment I'm wearing an oldschool Swazi merino long sleeve on bare skin, I found it at an OP Shop for $10. It's a relic as far as I'm concerned!

Otherwise I will wear the Kuiu merino long sleeve. I cycle between the 2. I rate both highly

This Kuiu - it is made where - USA ??
    So - if it is a USA product (maybe made in Vietnam outsourced) how can you be sure it is Merino

There is one way to test - cut a little piece of fabric (or just a loose thread) off and put the Bic Flik lighter on it - you should be able to tell authenticity by smell

Please understand - I am not trying to take the piss out of Kuiu product - I am just trying to ascertain its genuine and true platform
    I just see a tad too much fancy advertising and promotion (which is derived from how many millions you can push up its arse) and if it is truly a great product or just a well marketed product that scores highly on the table of "marketing promotion success"
    PLUS it aint cheap !!

A FM sold a Kuiu jacket on here the other day – I wish I had of bought it to try out – but it was a large not a M – still would have found out its suitability for me but

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    This Kuiu - it is made where - USA ??
    So - if it is a USA product (maybe made in Vietnam outsourced) how can you be sure it is Merino

There is one way to test - cut a little piece of fabric (or just a loose thread) off and put the Bic Flik lighter on it - you should be able to tell authenticity by smell

Please understand - I am not trying to take the piss out of Kuiu product - I am just trying to ascertain its genuine and true platform
    I just see a tad too much fancy advertising and promotion (which is derived from how many millions you can push up its arse) and if it is truly a great product or just a well marketed product that scores highly on the table of "marketing promotion success"
    PLUS it aint cheap !!

A FM sold a Kuiu jacket on here the other day – I wish I had of bought it to try out – but it was a large not a M – still would have found out its suitability for me but
    I have mentioned to you in a previous thread that Kuiu is made in asia + other countries. From my limited understanding, the Kuiu merino is sourced from Nuyarn technology New Zealand improving the performance of fabrics which is a company based in Levin. (I think) Someone on this forum will know more than I.

I agree Kuiu is pumped up by marketing, I still rate a lot of the products.

The majority of the gear I am using is made in NZ/USA.. I am working towards kitting myself entirely with ethically / less mass produced clothing & equipment. It isn't easy!

I that sold the Kuiu jacket that you mentioned. It has been replaced with these Swazi jackets. @Sarvo

Anyway, this thread is about NZ Made Swazi gear
    JoshC and Danny like this.

I have mentioned to you in a previous thread that Kuiu is made in asia + other countries. From my limited understanding, the Kuiu merino is sourced from Nuyarn technology New Zealand improving the performance of fabrics which is a company based in Levin. (I think) Someone on this forum will know more than I.

I agree Kuiu is pumped up by marketing, I still rate a lot of the products.

The majority of the gear I am using is made in NZ/USA.. I am working towards kitting myself entirely with ethically / less mass produced clothing & equipment. It isn't easy!

I that sold the Kuiu jacket that you mentioned. It has been replaced with these Swazi jackets. @Sarvo

Anyway, this thread is about NZ Made Swazi gear
    Yes sorry for diverting off topic
    Habit of mine

I want to find a line/product that suits me - thus far - I have/cannot
    The best I ever had was an oilskin Swandri replica (exact same cut as the original Swannie lace up)
    But - I was then 30 years younger and prob did not notice what I notice now - if you get my drift :-)

I will try the Kuiu and might try latest Swazi lightweght (prob get direct off D Hughs down road from my best mate in Kuku East Road )

Cheers
    hunt08 and hotsoup like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Yes sorry for diverting off topic
    Habit of mine

I want to find a line/product that suits me - thus far - I have/cannot
    The best I ever had was an oilskin Swandri replica (exact same cut as the original Swannie lace up)
    But - I was then 30 years younger and prob did not notice what I notice now - if you get my drift :-)

I will try the Kuiu and might try latest Swazi lightweght (prob get direct off D Hughs down road from my best mate in Kuku East Road )

Cheers
    I really like the kuiu synthetic base layers (Peleton). Merino is to easy to tear for my liking

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I really like the kuiu synthetic base layers (Peleton). Merino is to easy to tear for my liking
    Will try the Peleton next, I have a Kuiu Merino base layer also and it’s good.
    Thanks for sharing OP...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nick-D and hotsoup like this.
    Dan M