Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Tent ($200-$500) recommendations

Tent ($200-$500) recommendations

Gidday team,

Looking at getting myself a 3 season tent on a budget for some overnight missions down south where its a bit cool to get away with a fly every time.

Have had a look at the Kiwi Camping Hiker series, Torpedo seven Mamaku, and a few others.
    Wondering what peoples experiences are with any of the above (or others in the $200-$500 range)?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    I have a Great outdoors Escapade dome tent that has never been used . Sleeps 4 ,comes with fly ,pegs ,poles, the lot .
    I put it up once 10 years ago to make sure it was all there and has not see daylight since. It was a gift from my work as reward for enduring an all expences paid piss cruise / fishing trip on a big boat in Fjordland, ( go figure :-) ).
    Pm me if interested .
    Hamish
    Cheers for the offer. I'm after something a bit lighter and I only require room for 2 people + packs and gun

well Im more than happy with a huntech loop bivvy....what most folks were using 15 years ago...withstands fair bit of rain/snow/wind...light enough to carry and didnt costthe earth...2 people with shite loads of room..3 people cozy..1 man and his dog=luxury .
    you can get away with very basic and cheap tent...eg warehouse dome if you put a fly over top and bungy/tie it down...its amazing how much wind those basic tents will take..they flatten right down to ground and pop back up again...
    RUMPY likes this.

got one of these bullt proof but on the heavy side

https://dwights.co.nz/collections/hi...lanet-wurley-2
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Currently run one of these, a Tracker 2 from intents outdoors. https://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/pr...iABEgKqDfD_BwE

I've been very impressed with it so far in 2 years of ownership. Well made, stands up well to rain and wind, nice and light too. Only negative is the pointed roof leaving nor alot of room for 2 to sit up etc.

I have one of these Zephyros 2 Its a great tent easy to pitch with a lowish profile, I use it as a solo tent as would be quite tight with 2 people and its not freestanding like a dome but when pegged out is a great tent. They are made by Terra Novo a UK brand and this is there slightly cheaper range, same design but not quite as expensive materials as their Terra Nova branded stuff.

I bought a secondhand Exped that was basically new.
    Something like this if you are lucky to get at reasonable price could be considered.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...7?bof=AnoUSseX

You should be able to pick up a good 2nd hand MSR HubbaHubba or similar for that dish.
    Moa Hunter and Mohawk .308 like this.

Don't know if this is still available
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....otprint-75514/

Have you considered the msr copy's? Bushbuck 8000, nature's hike mongar. Think there are some others aswell
    Andy7mm, dannyb and uk_exile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
    Have you considered the msr copy's? Bushbuck 8000, nature's hike mongar. Think there are some others aswell
    I have a natures hike mongar and am supprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, mines been brilliant.
    Lightweight, heaps of room and reasonably robust, I have used mine on tops chamois missions on the West Coast and multiple deer hunts.
    I picked mine up for $40 due to a typo from a trademe store....to their credit they sent it, I would've been happy paying the $200 odd they seem to go for. I've definitely had way more than $200 value out of it and when it dies I'll just buy another without crying about the cost.

Name:  20210308_075137.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  5.06 MB
    #DANNYCENT

Give Orson tents some attention, i have one of the two person tents MSR copy type very impressed with it and great service from the NZ dealer
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidey31 View Post
    Give Orson tents some attention, i have one of the two person tents MSR copy type very impressed with it and great service from the NZ dealer
    Intents outdoors they have plenty of copies of decent tents including the Mongar which is just a copy of a msr hubba hubba anyway.
    Bloody great to deal with.
    Mohawk .308 likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Gone but not forgotten
    I have the T7 Mamaku 3-person tent. I've only used it for one weekend but it seems fine. Reasonably weighty and large when packed up but I don't know how it compares to similar designs.
    Whatever you do, wait until they are on sale before buying. I got mine for less than half price.

Is the hooper a newerversion of the mongar?looks pretty decent for the coin..
    Andy7mm likes this.