Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree26Likes
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 6 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By Stag
  • 7 Post By Joe_90
  • 4 Post By wekaman

Thread: Tent for Fiordland

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar

Tent for Fiordland

We are lucky enough to be heading into Fiordland this year so this has me checking all
    My gear to make sure it’s up to Fiordland standards
    I have come to tent options.
    I currently have a zpacks triplex for a lightweight option I have used this all year round including winter trips with snow and -14 degree trips and it’s been great but I don’t think I want to take it to Fiordland.
    The other tent I have is a 3f ul 3 person msr copy tent which again is a great little tent ans I have had it in some bad weather and it’s been fine but I’m not sure I want to be in a Fiordland storm on the tops in it haha

So if you had an option what would you do?
    I prefer 3 person Tents as I always hunt with a buddy and 2 people plus gear is perfect for a 3 man tent.

Hit me some options!!
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

I've used a big Agnes ul2 once which was fine but borderline. Stuck to the bush.

I've used my kuiu 2p 3 x which has been really good. We have shared the tent on our 2 man trips but also had a fly to give some extra space for gear etc.

If you are going to be in a fiordland storm on the tops just don't, not hard to get into bush cover. You will probably get a bit wet no matter what you use.

My experience is fiordland isn't much different than any other main divide or west coast hunt. It can still piss down and blow like he'll no matter where you are, just luck of the draw if you get a good weather window.
    veitnamcam likes this.

A big tough fly to go over the top of the kitchen area and sleeping tents is useful to take the sting out of Fiordland sized raindrops.

The heavier macpac comes into its own with the totally water proof tub floors. Easy to split the tents amongst two of you to make it manageable.

The 3 person option is the aspiring tent. I have not long purchased the 4p hemisphere as a base camp and plenty of room for 3 with gear.
    burtonator likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Yep I use an Olympus down there, but i usually hunt solo.so there's room for gear etc.
    Double it up with a Rab Siltarp over the entry/exit flap and kitchen area.
    I use the same setup and on my third Olympus now since 1990, in the tent enough room for sleep and sitting upright, packs stay outside with rain covers on. Great tents and can handle big snow dumps and storms as long as it is pointed into the wind.

Whichever tent you decide on, I’d take a decent fly as well and dry bags for your sleeping bag and spare clothes. The last trip my mate did in there, the only day it didn’t rain was the day they flew out!
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Kuiu storm star

Flying or walking in?
    Second others on tarps. Absolutely need a dry entry/exit to base camp and somewhere to cook etc.
    Not such an issue on the inland blocks but most flat parts in the sounds/fiords will flood.....choose camp wisely.
    We used a msr muther hubba to fly camp away from base....it was excellent for two guys and gear but there is probably better gear around nowdays.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Make sure it will tolerate being pitched on lumpy or less than perfectly even ground. I had a very unpleasant fiordland experience with a borrowrf Macpac tent that wouldn't hold a decent pitch on anything less than flat ground. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Make sure it will tolerate being pitched on lumpy or less than perfectly even ground. I had a very unpleasant fiordland experience with a borrowrf Macpac tent that wouldn't hold a decent pitch on anything less than flat ground. . . .
    From my experience in Fiordland you'd be best bringing a piece of flat ground with you...

Name:  DSCF2206.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  441.5 KB
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.

If there is driftwood threaded through the trees above you, you are sited too low.

We spent 8 days in the rain during our ballot hunt last year in Kuiu Mountain Star tents. They worked great and we had flys aswell. Would have been a real bastard without the flys for space out of the rain. Condensation the biggest issue but when it’s Fiordland, no tent will save you there.