Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Tikka7mm08
  • 1 Post By JessicaChen

Thread: Tents with/without floors

Tents with/without floors

I’ve noticed members posting pics of tents for sale/in hunting pics and noticed some appear to be a glorified fly.

What’s the go with these ‘floorless’ tents when it rains? ( do you simply get wet?)

Or are they fine weather items only? (Like a sheilas new hair-do)

Most of the tenting I’ve done has been on motorcycle trips and those tents all had floors. (and a fly)
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Its just dependent on your "approach". In the Nth Is a fly or the like. floorless is good in 3 seasons. Combine that with a good sleeping bag cover and you're good for 2 and maybe 3 seasons in the Sth Is. A big caveat with fly and fly type tents is bugs, most floorless tents don't keep them out that well.

Sth Is mountains in winter, a floor is pretty much essential IMO. Having said that when we were younger we did several Fiordland missions (bugs, rain and snow) with fly's and survived just fine. But how glad I was to get my first proper double skin tent with floor!!
    Tikka7mm08, dannyb and Finnwolf like this.

Ta for that Tentman

I have in fact slept without any tent while tahr hunting - but it WAS a fine summer weekend with a warm breeze.

Otherwise it would be tent with floor and a fly for me.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

No different to sleeping under a hoochie back when I was wearing green

Done the hoochi, floorless huntech, fairydown microlight and now a floor UL tent. I liked the last 2 the best! Had a possum come into the Huntech during the night once looking to be little spoon. Zipped doors with a floor for life.
    Ronin007 likes this.

WAAAAAAY back when I was a wee nipper our canvas 12x12 tent was pretty much normal tent for family....it was the normal,done thing to pick your spot preferably with slight elevation and if needed dig trench AROUND outside to divert away any running water...in modern PC world siting tent is a lost art...heaven forbid someone might dig up a little bit of soil....

Get a bit wet when the wind blows the wrong way and all sorts of critters come scuttling over you. Last time i did fly-only I made sure to get next to a cliff to block wind from that direction. Gotta dig that mini trench too.
    Ronin007 likes this.