Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: is there anything simpler than a gps

is there anything simpler than a gps

just wondering if there is anything available that you can push one button when you leave a hut or vehicle that will just give a compass reading to go back to that point.used to have a gps with maps in it could never get it to work ( ye ye I know technology challenged ).I like to just walk where I like not really heading in any particular direction when hunting , alright in areas I am familiar with but am wanting to try new areas to find some animals.have lost a lot of my private hunting areas and need to find some better places not just near roads. I can navigate off a map but in heavy bush its pretty hard to get a good fix. and not a smart phone ,the only use I have for a smart phone is as a target for sighting in.
    madjon_ likes this.

Liking the last line.
    birch likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

Learn to use a map and compass. Or you could learn to use the technology you have.
    Better still learn to use both.
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.

Bushnell Backtrack Point 5-Personal GPS Will Help You Find Your Way Home - Gadizmo.com

There is a number of variants on this type of model, you set your "home" and then it will display the arrow in the direction of that.
    northdude and berg243 like this.

Plenty of watches out there that will do what you're asking also
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Plenty of watches out there that will do what you're asking also
    any particular watch to look for? @Ryan_Songhurst .I can navigate off a map and compass but not in the dark or when I cant see features to get position.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Bushnell Backtrack Point 5-Personal GPS Will Help You Find Your Way Home - Gadizmo.com

There is a number of variants on this type of model, you set your "home" and then it will display the arrow in the direction of that.
    ive got one of these works well but you will have to remember where you walked as it doesnt plot your track just a straight line direction where the point is that you loaded before you left its helped me find gear ive dropped at a fly camp sight and caried on
    berg243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    just wondering if there is anything available that you can push one button when you leave a hut or vehicle that will just give a compass reading to go back to that point.used to have a gps with maps in it could never get it to work ( ye ye I know technology challenged ).I like to just walk where I like not really heading in any particular direction when hunting , alright in areas I am familiar with but am wanting to try new areas to find some animals.have lost a lot of my private hunting areas and need to find some better places not just near roads. I can navigate off a map but in heavy bush its pretty hard to get a good fix. and not a smart phone ,the only use I have for a smart phone is as a target for sighting in.
    they would be great for night time clay practice..... nice big lit up screens.
    300CALMAN, birch, 223nut and 1 others like this.
    Use enough gun

Are you looking for a method that does not require ongoing awareness of your whereabouts?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Are you looking for a method that does not require ongoing awareness of your whereabouts?
    yes so I can just concentrate on hunting not having to count how many ridges or gullies I have gone up or down. and also when I get back to a road which way to my vehicle.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    That method is called sitting at home

just looked at the bushnell backtrack .ampro have 2 different ones listed 1 has 5 storable locations and the other 3 locations and a retail of $109 for the cheaper one.looks ok and pretty simple to use. not worried about not having exact path to follow just direction is fine by me I always look for easiest path maybe not direct route.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    That method is called sitting at home
    I thought that was called being at work.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    yes so I can just concentrate on hunting not having to count how many ridges or gullies I have gone up or down. and also when I get back to a road which way to my vehicle.
    @berg243

Going by your postings, your demise / harm would be a loss to the forum and likely also to someone special. Please don't completely trust knowing your whereabouts to any one piece of technology.
    berg243 likes this.

About simpler than a GPS, I have wondered if a ferrite rod antenna equipped AM receiver could be used to triangulate one's position from the bearings of known transmitters. The sharp "nulls" of the ferrite rod end-on gives it good directionality. Like with satellites, the more stations, the more accurate your position, though with a greater margin of error than with GPS.

OK, it was in an idle moment... and you'd still need a map to decide the direction to your car.