Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Roy Lehndorf
  • 1 Post By hunterw
  • 2 Post By Nesika
  • 2 Post By MSL
  • 1 Post By Beanie
  • 1 Post By HNTMAD
  • 1 Post By MSL

Thread: Thermarest NeoAir XLite vs XTherm

Thermarest NeoAir XLite vs XTherm

I'm in the process of slimming down the pack and dropping some weight. My older thermarest clocks in at 900g with a packed size at least double the newer models.

I'm not too fussed on the price difference and they both pack down to the same size. The main difference for me is the durability of nylon on the underside of the XLite. Obviously the heat factor comes into it around insulation and significant difference in the R-rating but I've got a decent sleeping bag so I'm more worried about the longevity. Mixed reviews floating around online on the XLite with some claiming 3 days until a leak while others talking hundreds or nights with no issues.

I suppose one way to solve any durability issues is to go with a prolite for a similar weight and packed size as the xtherm (and half the price) but I'd rather go with a buy once, cry once option.

Below are the regular size dimensions but would consider going a little smaller on the xtherm as it has a medium size available.

XLite:
    R-Value: 3.2
    Weight: 350 g
    Width: 51 cm
    Length: 183 cm
    Thickness: 6.3 cm
    Packaged Dimensions: 23 x 10 x 10 cm
    Top Fabric Type: 30d High Tenacity Nylon
    Bottom Fabric Type: 30d High Tenacity Nylon

XTherm:
    R-Value: 5.7
    Weight: 430 g
    Width: 51 cm
    Length: 183 cm
    Thickness: 6.3 cm
    Packaged Dimensions: 23 x 10 cm
    Material: 30d High Tenacity Nylon / 70d Nylon Soft Grip

Appreciate any comments!

Haven't been cold in my xlite yet. Haven't slept in the snow though.
    Wanderer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Haven't been cold in my xlite yet. Haven't slept in the snow though.
    +same here - never been cold, but never slept in the snow and after four years "touch wood" have not holed it sleeping under a fly

Maybe Have a look on the campsaver or a Canadian sport shop web site as I think the next generation thermarests come with some new rapid filling valve.

A mate used this web site and shipped his thermarest xlite to Nz via that Nzpost freight forward service for around $200 NZd

Cheers
    Wanderer likes this.
    Work Just Gets In The Way

I have the Xtherm and love it. No issues with durability as yet, try to be a wee bit careful where i put it down though. Some complain it is noisy but i don't think its that much of an issue. I have ditched the fancy (read: useless) pump sack that comes with it, just extra weight in my opinion. I got it to replace a thin mountain designs pad after a long cold night above the bushline. Cost was $125USD from amazon warehouse deals in conjunction with youshop (plus $26 nzd shipping).

Hunter
    Wanderer likes this.

I have a bag with no down on the bottom so went with the XTherm. You can certainly feel the warmth on a warm evening. One thing to be aware of is while the actual thermarest may weigh the advertised weight, the supplied carry/pump sac weighs an additional 55 grms so the total weight for my standard length is actually 485 grms not 430 grms as advertised.
    199p and Wanderer like this.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Definitely helpful!
    @Roy-Lehndorf I hadn't looked at campsaver etc yet but bought some Lowa Hunter EVO GTX's from there 6 months back and they were great to deal with.

Sounds like durability isn't too much of an issue, despite the lightweight materials.

MSL
    Slept next to a snow drift last year with an inertia x-frame, works well and it's tiny
    Bugbait and Wanderer like this.

Running the x them no issues at all. Bloody warm and will give full test in the snow in may. Need to be careful where you use it due to material type but not a biggy
    Wanderer likes this.

Certainly with down you don't want to be adding moisture to the down, so would suggest keeping the pump bag thing

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Wanderer likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Slept next to a snow drift last year with an inertia x-frame, works well and it's tiny
    By itself? Nothing under or on top of it? Interesting as I had a look at one today.
    Dan M

MSL
    Inside a bivvy bag, bedded on leaf matter.
    Danny likes this.