Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thermarest vs Exped vs Swanni

Thermarest vs Exped vs Swanni

Looking at a inflatable mat of some description, never used one - used a thermal foam in the army and just whatever extra clothes I had while hunting.
    Good reviews for both brands..would like to keep the weight under 500g durability is important and comfort.
    apart from comfort, I'm looking at staying in colder areas (NI) so recognise the need for thermal insulation from the ground.
    Fly/ tent camper.
    Cheers

I bought one of these four years ago and it's still going well. Has one small pin prick from a matagouri bush. They are durable and very small/lightweight. I chose to buy this because I wanted to see how it matched up to a exped that was over twice the price. The exped died a couple of years ago. I've used this in temps down to -15 and have still been warm - so I believe the specs. For the price and use I've had from mine I really recommend them.

MULTIMAT AIRLITE INFLATABLE MATTRESS - OD GREEN | Trade Me
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Thanks Josh, that's a pretty good endorsement and it meets my criteria minus the brand name.
    Might take a punt too

Just to confuse things. ...
    I got an Exped UL7 earlier in the year and have been very happy with it. Packs up small and is very comfortable. Much more than my previous katmandu self inflating mat.

MB
    Don't think I'll go inflatable next time. Even the expensive ones seems to develop a leak over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I bought one of these four years ago and it's still going well. Has one small pin prick from a matagouri bush. They are durable and very small/lightweight. I chose to buy this because I wanted to see how it matched up to a exped that was over twice the price. The exped died a couple of years ago. I've used this in temps down to -15 and have still been warm - so I believe the specs. For the price and use I've had from mine I really recommend them.

MULTIMAT AIRLITE INFLATABLE MATTRESS - OD GREEN | Trade Me
    Am I right in reading that its just an airmat, ie not insulated?

I have an Exped Downmat 'Lite 5' which cost less than that one (on special) and it has been great, I thought it had a leak once but it was some grass stuck in the valve stopping it from sealing properly. Was a revelation of warmth and comfort after years of foam rolls!

Its about 650g but there are plenty of lighter versions now, I'd probably go for a synthetic over a down one next time.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Am I right in reading that its just an airmat, ie not insulated?

I have an Exped Downmat 'Lite 5' which cost less than that one (on special) and it has been great, I thought it had a leak once but it was some grass stuck in the valve stopping it from sealing properly. Was a revelation of warmth and comfort after years of foam rolls!

Its about 650g but there are plenty of lighter versions now, I'd probably go for a synthetic over a down one next time.
    Yes its only an air mat. No insulation. However it performs well in temps as low as -15 - which is about the lowest I've used it in camped on snow. Didn't get cold through it at all.

The main reason I bought it was packed size and weight. When I bought it options were alot less. It'll pack down about the size of a powerade bottle.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Got a Macpac 3/4 length one, very happy with it. Brought to replace an early exped that developed a leak I couldn't fix

I'm a wimp so went with the downmat 7. If you have any sort of fill you do not want something you need to blow into as your breath is too damp and ends up rotting the inside or at best clumping many types of insulation. It is bulky and heavy compared to a lot of others but so comfortable. Better that my bed at home for sleeping on.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Love my thermarest _b

Downmats, or any mat with fill for that matter are a pain in the ass as you cant blow them up with your mouth without wrecking the down, and if you do you may as well just buy a cheaper, lighter one without down to start with. I used a Exped UL for a few years, 350gms, full length, packs down about the size of a coke can, no colder than the flashest down filled one if you chuck a jacket under it.

Was out last night with just extra layers and a bivy bag. Got a bit cold at 3ish when it started snowing and had to get up and find sleeping bag and mat then not a problem. Having a furry hot water bottle helped though, little sneak managed to get inside the bivy bag!!
    Shelley likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Downmats, or any mat with fill for that matter are a pain in the ass as you cant blow them up with your mouth without wrecking the down, and if you do you may as well just buy a cheaper, lighter one without down to start with.
    For down I agree, but they reckon the synthetic fill doesn't have that problem (which is why I'd lean towards a synth next time).

Just stop being a sook and make do with a wool blanky

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Yes its only an air mat. No insulation. However it performs well in temps as low as -15 - which is about the lowest I've used it in camped on snow. Didn't get cold through it at all.

The main reason I bought it was packed size and weight. When I bought it options were alot less. It'll pack down about the size of a powerade bottle.
    Interesting, I'm impressed that it was warm on snow with no insulation in it - wouldn't have expected that.