Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Three knives for sale - two just finished, one refurbished

So I have some more knives for sale, one has come back from being tested, I have touched up the wear, resharpened it and am letting it go cheap, the other two are brand new.

All the knives are made from O1 tool steel, 4 mm thick, and have been tempered and double quenched to Rockwell 59C.

Nessmuk style knife $125

George Washington Sears, who went by the pen name "Nessmuk", was a sportswriter for Forest and Stream in the 1880's and wrote "woodcraft", he was an avid hunter and adventurer.
    In his book he advocated the use of three main cutting tools: a double bladed pocket knife for small game and first aid (we would probably use a swiss army knife now), a double bit axe with a shortened handle that was differentially ground, one of the blades was fairly robust for splitting or chopping near the ground whilst the other was finer for limbing or felling, finally he advocated a small sheath knife. He disliked Bowies or big knives and instead suggested a small curved knife with a hump at the top for aid in removing an animals skin and for thumb placement, he said that the knife should be able to be used equally for cutting up food and eating with as well as hunting and all manner of cutting tasks.
    This then is my take on a Nessie...

Name:  IMG_0510.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  485.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0511.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  461.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0512.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  471.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0513.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  433.5 KB

Mine is small (roughly 10 cm blade and 8 cm handle) but robust, with full tang construction, 4 mm O1 tool steel blade with a .15 mm copper liner, then a 1mm green g10 liner before the kwila wooden handle, it has two copper loveless bolts and a brass wrist thong. The handle, despite being short are full and have been sanded to 1200 grit, making them a joy to hold, and the copper adds a lovely accent. The blade is very sharp on the edge and has been sanded to 1200 grit on the blade but has some small marks left on to give it an air of authenticity.
    The leather sheath is set up for right hand wear and has two draw tensioners to allow for leather movement.
    This is a damn fine knife, but would suit people with smaller rather than larger hands.

Drop point hunter $115
    This little gem is my take on a classic loveless drop point hunter.

Name:  IMG_0515.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  503.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0514.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  444.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0516.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  407.1 KB

Full tang construction, green G10 liners with rimu handles, again sanded to 1200 grit and held in place with two brass loveless bolts with stainless pins for an "eye" effect. Feels great in the hand.
    Solid little hunting knife with a roughly 10 cm blade and same sized handle, it comes a with a Hunters orange kydex sheath that has been set up for ambidextrous carry and has extremely solid retention.
    This is a no nonsense user blade that comes very sharp and will provide years of use for someone.

French Trade Knife/Pioneers Knife $90

this is a refurbished knife that was tested by a forum user and has now returned, I have resharpened it up and am letting it got cheap.

Name:  IMG_0518.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  953.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0517.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  922.3 KB

Full tang construction with beautiful rimu wood handles on a pale yellow liner, two brass loveless bolts with stainless pins.
    Blade is about 13 cm, handle about 11.5 cm, the handle is definitely intended for big hands, I could certainly thin it down for no charge besides postage if its too big.
    Intended as a general all round camp knife, the tester said that he used it in several animals and found that it skinned well but was not good at jointing, and the handle was a little large.
    Comes in a simple leather pouch sheath that is a little loose, but is quite deep, intended for right hand carry.
    A very solid dependable knife that won't let you down.

I also do custom knives and kydex sheaths for your existing knives...

Shelley

French trade knife gone.