Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Tough as nails clothing

Tough as nails clothing

As many of you will know, I've been selling the 'M-Tac' line of thermals/fleeces on the forum for a while. Lots of happy campers. The thermal leggings have been a particular favourite. Very hard wearing and well made for the price.

AJ @Frodo) has recently started promoting a Swedish clothing company called Micklagard - they make top quality woolen outer layers. Hand-made, customizable etc. Not cheap, but probably a good way to go if you're sick of your stuff crapping out on you.

We've decided to run a joint-promo thread. Both lines of clothing represent fantastic quality at a reasonable price, and they compliment each other well. The M-Tac synthetic clothing dries quickly, and breathes exceptionally well. Perfect for wearing next to the skin. And the Micklagard gear is durable, weather proof, and flame retardant - making them well suited as outer-layers.

We'll both ensure that members on here get the best deals possible (AJ's currently offering 15% off all Micklagard gear, and it'll end early May @Frodo??)
    paremata likes this.

You know who you are! (Yes I'm looking at you at @Ryan_Songhurst)

You've got hair growing on your chest, calluses on your nipples, and a hand-shake that's so firm, it makes every pipe-wrench within a 5 mile radius drop its jaw in disbelief...

You're a gorilla of a man (...or a woman), and nothing but the toughest gear will survive in your custody.
    You've had enough of the flimsy, cotton-candy-coloured jackets hanging on the racks at your local Macpac or Bivouac store, and you're champing at the bit for a garment that has the integrity of a well-done hunk of steak!

I've got some great news.

One word: Micklagard.

Check it out! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H0T...HCfgzp16v/view

Name:  121799896_1138915176505276_6456191148492760368_o.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  601.5 KB

Micklagard: now breaking into doggy fashion.
    https://micklagaard.com/collections/...cts/winter-hat

Name:  45262352_637623069967825_2634129654822207488_n.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  140.0 KB

One of the customizations they can do: reindeer leather pockets.

Name:  44183981_630099687386830_147426341573099520_n.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  218.2 KB
    Last edited by Frodo; 05-04-2021 at 09:30 AM.

How does it compare to icebreaker? I have used icebreaker while sleeping in a snow cave at the top of ruapehu and also while kayaking the waimakariri in 2 degree water on the coast to coast, handled the jandle.

Apples and oranges. They cater to different crowds.

Icebreaker = Light weight and trendy (not something you'd wear bush-bashing, or next to a fire...but fine for wearing around town, or for situations where light weight is more important than ruggedness - i.e outdoor sports).

Micklagard = Hefty and practical (not something you'd wear during the Coast to Coast or rock climbing, but excellent for forestry work, hunting, farming etc).

Micklagard is like Swanndri on steroids: beefier (fully adjustable) hoods, more customizable, and more weather resistant/quicker drying.
    Last edited by Frodo; 05-04-2021 at 12:02 PM.
    7mmsaum and Moa Hunter like this.

Name:  cape ullen.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  480.7 KB
    Name:  131231468_1186004321796361_5593708919088314566_n.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  49.5 KB
    Name:  101989552_1035990946797700_6414413308914765471_n.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  552.4 KB

Cape 'Ullen', Anorak 'Abisko', and Vest 'Sorskog'.

Old world quality. Built to last. Made for those who are traditionalists at heart.
    Last edited by Frodo; 07-04-2021 at 11:54 PM.

('Kebne' jacket and 'Hamra Regular' pants).

The Kebne jacket is heavier than the Anorak Abisko, so it's not as suitable for high levels of exertion. But it's perfect for on the farm, or shooting ducks/upland game birds. It's the classiest looking jacket Micklagard makes. Leather details and plenty of pockets.

Name:  171498470_1262534694143323_6146075595379936772_n.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  390.2 KB
    Last edited by Frodo; 16-04-2021 at 01:34 AM.

Took my Anorak for its 1st hunt over the weekend. Forecast wasn’t great but that was the only window I had. Long story short it was pissing down and blowing a typical Wairarapa southerly all day so thought it would be a great chance to put it through its paces. I wore it the whole day with a midweight merino t shirt underneath. I was well impressed, stayed completely dry, was warm while sitting glassing, the cook straight southerly was just bouncing off it, I did not overheat while climbing/over exerting and the inside was also not wet from me sweating, I kid you not. The pockets are lined with fluffy wool type material which did the trick on my cold wet hands and I was also very surprised that they somehow did not become saturated with the amount of times I was putting my hands in to warm them up. The quilt lined hood was awesome also for keeping the noggin warm.The zips down either side are brilliant for dumping heat quickly. The hook grass loved it but I found it just rubbed off, you didn’t need to pick it out like other fleece type clothing.

They are by no means a lightweight jacket but I’m ok with that as I will be ditching the multiple other layers/ jackets that I usually carry to cover the bases. They are very well made and look and feel like it will last out my years of hunting providing I don’t outgrow it!

Thanks Frodo/Sarvo for bringing this gear to my attention.
    Frodo and Ned like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    Took my Anorak for its 1st hunt over the weekend. Forecast wasn’t great but that was the only window I had. Long story short it was pissing down and blowing a typical Wairarapa southerly all day so thought it would be a great chance to put it through its paces. I wore it the whole day with a midweight merino t shirt underneath. I was well impressed, stayed completely dry, was warm while sitting glassing, the cook straight southerly was just bouncing off it, I did not overheat while climbing/over exerting and the inside was also not wet from me sweating, I kid you not. The pockets are lined with fluffy wool type material which did the trick on my cold wet hands and I was also very surprised that they somehow did not become saturated with the amount of times I was putting my hands in to warm them up. The quilt lined hood was awesome also for keeping the noggin warm.The zips down either side are brilliant for dumping heat quickly. The hook grass loved it but I found it just rubbed off, you didn’t need to pick it out like other fleece type clothing.

They are by no means a lightweight jacket but I’m ok with that as I will be ditching the multiple other layers/ jackets that I usually carry to cover the bases. They are very well made and look and feel like it will last out my years of hunting providing I don’t outgrow it!

Thanks Frodo/Sarvo for bringing this gear to my attention.
    You are meant to be wearing my M-Tac underneath but :-)
    I can tell its a good honest review when you mention that bloody Hook Grass

Yep that’s what I will be wearing underneath it next hunt!!! I was worried about overheating!! I did have the m tac in my pack with me��

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    Yep that’s what I will be wearing underneath it next hunt!!! I was worried about overheating!! I did have the m tac in my pack with me��
    I was only joking - I did not know you had the M-Tac :-)
    I do think it would be perfect combo - just the M-Tac nothing else against skin - under this Micklagard clothing

Yea I know I haven’t actually worn it yet as it’s been so bloody warm....

Glad it's working for you man! @Hayden

While we may harness the power of our Viking forbearers and forge all of our clothing in Sweden (with iron-fisted conviction!), we are a truly universal company who are driven by a philosophy that people all over the world can relate to: "The best things in life are enduring."

As such:

Our garments are built from enduring materials.
    Our garments are designed to offer years of enduring reliability
    We like to maintain an enduring relationship with our clients. We'll always look after you! Always.

Just to reiterate, we're offering a 15% forum discount on everything until the beginning of May. A good chance to snag some bomb-proof woolen gear for the winter hunting season. https://micklagaard.com/

If you're keen, flick me a PM for a discount code.

Cheers,
    AJ

New model: "Forest Shirt"

These will sell for $190 euros (approx $318 NZD). But with the current 15% discount, they'll be around $270 NZD.

These are much lighter than the anoraks and jackets, and suitable for 3 season use.

Name:  IMG_7380.JPG
Views: 1322
Size:  2.44 MB

Name:  IMG_7379.JPG
Views: 1342
Size:  2.13 MB

Customizations can be carried out: pockets removed/added; length altered; style of neck closure altered.
    Last edited by Frodo; 20-04-2021 at 01:05 AM.
    Ned likes this.

Wow these look awesome and you would never be cold again. Proper dense wool almost felted and beautifully tailored.
    Great clothing to take on a thar hunt [if your getting choppered in!]
    Overkill for my needs and not cheap, but i'm seriously tempted.
    Frodo likes this.