Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Tracking collars

Hey guys am after some info on gps tracking collars I don't no much about them the last lot I had were the old beep beep type with the big fold out aerial (not gps) bit of a nac to use them.
    Just been looking on trademe seems to be a few different types...is there any real advantage in having a unit that has maps ? any recommendations would be great .
    cheers.

Tracking collars

Quicktrac, Maxima etc are indeed a thing of the past. The new Garmin Astros are good, the maps are possibly their greatest feature but are deemed illegal here in NZ. The newer Garmin models are not illegal and are well worth the investment. The maps are IMO a must.
    Ring around and price some and ask questions. Look online also. I have, over time bought in a fair few of all sorts.
    Dan M

Been looking online seems most people are talking about the new alpha,s price is up there but some cool features...Garmin Alpha Pig Hunting GPS Dog Tracking System with two x T5 Collars & Dogmaster Exclusive Stainless Armour Covers & Wrap - DogMaster Trainers
    officially I gave up pig hunting 6 years ago but somehow over the last couple of months iv ended up with 4 dogs...2 of them got dropped off last night ...the wind is starting to drop off and I no were some piggys are
    just a little cautious to go out with new dogs and no tracking gear I can still remember loosing 2 for 6 weeks in the native many years ago so I mite have to get the gorse out of my pocket and get the new gear..
    Thanks for the advice .