Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Trekking Poles/Walking Sticks

Trekking Poles/Walking Sticks

I am looking at getting some Trekking Poles/Walking Sticks. Any advice on whats good and what to avoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What you see, is what you get!

Get ones with a lever lock adjuster, not the twist lock ones.

Gkp
    Don't buy cheap.
    janleroux likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Get ones with a lever lock adjuster, not the twist lock ones.
    I bought a pair of leverlock ones earlier this week because my twistlock one will twist but not unlock.

Get ones with the metal tip that have a slip or push on rubber tip. The metal tip is better for using off road, but the rubber tip prevents damage to your gear when being carried in your pack.
    janleroux likes this.

Long distance trampers really rate these Pacerpoles, not cheap and are handed.
    janleroux likes this.

Telescopic with levers , I use alloy shaft ones , bivouac have not a bad selection
    janleroux likes this.

Banned
    What is the terrain that you will use them on ?. If there are screes, sidehilling, stream / river crossings, steep downhills then a correctly used mustering stick might be a better option
    Micky Duck and matagouri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    What is the terrain that you will use them on ?. If there are screes, sidehilling, stream / river crossings, steep downhills then a correctly used mustering stick might be a better option
    Mostly in the Tararua’s. Sidehilling, stream/river crossings, steep up and downhills.

What is a mustering stick? Do you possibly have some photos you can share?

What you see, is what you get!

mustering stick= manuka or Kanuka pole about 7-8 feet long and between 1-2 inches thick.
    Phil_H likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by janleroux View Post
    Mostly in the Tararua’s. Sidehilling, stream/river crossings, steep up and downhills.

What is a mustering stick? Do you possibly have some photos you can share?

A proper mustering stick is a light manuka or Kanuka pole cut to a length so that the thumb knuckle of you grip hand is at the same height as your nipple when gripping the stick and standing up straight with stick in front. It is used in a way that it is a brace sidehilling and a shock absorber and brace going downhill. It needs to be strong and light but have a bit of spring.
    The basic grip is with the hand that is nearest the ground (hill) when sidehilling or descending faced palm down on the stick and the grip hand palm up, hands are placed about chest width and a bit apart. So for sidehilling a hill face on your left the grip is left hand palm down right hand palm faced up. Stick is poked into the hill ahead and you walk onto it. Down hill - same grip but stick to rear, lean back onto stick knees kept bent and run down the hill. For a river crossing the stick must always be faced upstream, that way the force of the water holds it on the bottom. Faced downstream and the water will kick it out.
    Place the stick a step or two ahead and walk until you can stop with a good footing and place the stick again.
    veitnamcam, Woody, diana2 and 6 others like this.

Banned
    Sweet, I've misplaced my leki stick somewhere so might cut one of these and store it to dry.

I have a set of Black Diamond cork handled ergo sticks/poles. I will second the post earlier to get snap lock rather than twist lock. I opted for the ergo handle as it sits more naturally in you hand ( it’s on a slight tilt). I got them after a knee op and found they really do help support up hill and down hill work and as I have got older helps the balance a lot. If you haven’t used them before they take a few trips to fully master. Here’s the ones I bought.

Name:  01C097BA-CCCC-45DF-A5E8-97E7637F0FB0.jpeg
Views: 600
Size:  15.8 KB
    janleroux likes this.

I have a pair of carbon cam lock one I bought of Ali express. They were cheap but they work great and are very light. Lighter than my wifes much more expensive Lekis. I have used them a lot and not had any issues with them although I am a light weight and am pretty easy on my gear.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I have a pair of carbon cam lock one I bought of Ali express. They were cheap but they work great and are very light. Lighter than my wifes much more expensive Lekis. I have used them a lot and not had any issues with them although I am a light weight and am pretty easy on my gear.
    Got a link to the ones you brought?
    janleroux likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Sweet, I've misplaced my leki stick somewhere so might cut one of these and store it to dry.
    I Look for a stick with a hand natural grip shape on the trunk. The Kanuka might be 4mtr or so tall and just the centre section is cut out. Don't scrape the inner bark off the stick - that will bugger it's strength, just rub off the outer fluffy bark. My general purpose stick is 1450mm long and 25 mm at the thickest point, my light weight stick is the same length and only 20mm. With a rubber bungy tied on like a tight gun sling it carries over the shoulders on flat ground.
    I think the walking poles are superior for going up-hill but for everything else the mustering stick is better. Sidehilling we always fall towards the hill so the stick is used on that side as a moving prop @dannyb comments ?
    stevodog and Phil_H like this.