Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tripods?

Tripods?

does anyone know of any decent tripods out there to use with a spotting scope?
    looking for a tripod to use for hunting (that is still reasonably compact) the bench tripod I have won't cut it.
    I've done some looking around and there is literally thousands of them at varying prices and its hard to figure out which ones are good quality.

any suggestions appreciated

MSL
    NZ hunter did a write up on lightweight tripods a few mags ago, they preferred the 'slik' flyweight ones so give those a Google

Slik are a well known and good brand - have a look at their compact series. I have an older slik tripod that is goo for what it is but their are better ones out there now.

Manfrotto also are a very good brand - BeFree range might suit you best, maybe a little on the large/heavy size depending on what you want.

Gitzo made awesome tripods - expensive though and maybe not as small as you might like. Have a look at their traveller brand. This is my go to light weight tripod at the moment for photography in the hills including a SLR camera and for video.

Benro also made very good tripods - although I haven't used them. Have a look at their System Go brand
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Cheers guys that really helped exactly what i was after, I think the Manfrotto and the Slik look like what I need
    Thanks for the help!

Slik carbon is the go dead eye dicks stock them

Low end manfrotto should be given a very wide berth, ask me how I know, never again.

GWH
    Ive recently looked into this as well, and ended up getting a Slik 500G-7, was about the lightest/most compact i could find at about 500gr that didnt cost a fortune, about 80-90 bucks from memory.

Works pretty well. If i was doing more longer trips or climbing much higher than i do, then you could justify spending lots more on a carbon fibre one.

Sirui make great tripods and very good prices -http://photogear.co.nz/tripod-and-monopods.html?manufacturer=50
    I have a big carbon Manfrotto which is great, but will be getting a compact Carbon sirui for a more backpack friendly option... For price and quality they seem really good.